Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

O Canada!

To those Canadians out there who read these little musings that materialize from my keyboard, I wish you a fine day.

To any who are not Canadian who stop by here to read - and sometimes share a thought or two with me - I wish you a fine day as well.

Canada Day has alway been my second favourite holiday of the year. Christmas has always been my favourite, for obvious reasons, but I love Canada Day as well, because it has none of the annoying little burdens and duties which Christmas must carry.

Christmas is the ultimate busy holiday. Canada Day is the ultimate restful holiday.

Today, all of us will sleep in. It is now almost 9:00 and I am the only one up. Even I've been up for less than an hour, and I'm the morning glory of this household.

How many families with three kids and a husband get to sleep in on Christmas morning?

We have no commitments today. Main Man will mow the lawn sometime, and when he's finished we will amble down to the central park in town, where crowds will gather to celebrate. When we've had enough of the sunshine and crowds, we will amble back home to lounge about.

How many Christmas days are spent ambling in the sunshine?

I'm not sure what we'll have for supper tonight. I bought some lean ground beef yesterday, so maybe I'll make my personal recipe for salsa burgers my kids love so much. Mmmmm....that sounds good.

How many Christmas mornings are spent musing about what to serve for supper?

I know you probably get the point, so I will stop beating you over the head with it. Sorry.

I suppose I should be writing about what a wonderful country we have here - and we definitely do. I often think we really don't appreciate it nearly enough.

Last night, Main Man and I were talking about all the crackerjack characteristics of Canada, and we had a pretty long list.

Then, he got talking about this survey he read about a couple of weeks ago which indicated that Canadians had more sex than either Americans or Brits. I wanted more information about that article - maybe even a link for this post, so all of you could read about it, but then, we got distracted ................... so - sorry - no link. (*giggles*)

Happy Canada Day, everybody!

6 comments:

mkecurler said...

Happy Canada day to my favorite canadian family! See me post from 6/30. Making poutine tonight!

Bathroom Hippo said...


May your Canadian holiday be almost as great as our Independence Day.

Big Pissy said...

Happy Canada Day!

p.s. I'm still not sure what exactly it signifies....but have a good one anyway!
;-)

Library Mama said...

Sabatkes - Thank you so much! Great to see you again. Hope you enjoyed your poutine. Our 12-year-old enjoyed a bowl of poutine from a vendor when we were at the park today.

Hippo - Thank you. I enjoyed the day thoroughly. Having never been in the States on Independence Day, I've nothing to compare it to, but our fireworks were pretty darn good!

Pissy - Thanks for your wishes. Canada Day is essentially Canada's birthday.

For more info, you can look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_day

Lowa said...

POUTINE!!?!?!

YUM!!!!!!!!!

Hope you had a great day:) Wish I could be home to enjoy it.

Did you boys get the cute little Canada Flag tattoos on their cheeks??

Library Mama said...

Lowa - Thanks - it was a great day. And yes, all four of my boys got the little maple leaf tattoos, even Main Man! :-)

Visits