Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Our Books Nook



It's time I lived up to my name and wrote about the library.

I LOVE our public library. And my kids love the public library. Yesterday we were there for just a few minutes, as #2's library card had expired and he needed some things renewed. I hadn't planned to stay long, as we are going back today, but I could tell all three boys were disappointed that we were leaving so soon.

We have 19 different library events written on the month of July on our calendar. There are storytimes, puppet shows, craft days, magicians, musicians, a Lord of the Rings movie marathon, and much more. Although the organized events taper off a bit as the boys get older, #1 and #2 like to browse the shelves and read while I take #3 to things like storytimes and puppet shows.

The older boys are especially pumped about the Lord of the Rings movie marathon. They've already seen all three movies, but the marathon aspect is what makes it exciting, I think. Our main downtown branch of the library has a movie theatre, so they will be comfy. And they do stop between movies for an hour or so, so I will take lunch and supper to them.

They almost had a huge disappointment. When they read the poster for this event, they were bouncing-off-the-wall excited. Unfortunately, they did not read the fine print. The Lord of the Rings is rated 14A. The library is not going to admit anyone under 14 without an accompanying adult. Have you ever watched an empty pop can being crushed? That's what those boys looked like.

However, in rode our knight in shining armour - Main Man. He looked at his schedule, saw no pressing deadlines around that time, and decided to take the day off work to accompany the boys. Thank you, kind sir.

Today, I will take #3 to the puppet show Puss in Boots, while the older boys search the shelves for their tastes, which vary greatly from one another. #1 loves graphic novels and mysteries. He's one of those people who can read three or four books at the same time. Right now he's reading The DaVinci Code, Chasing Vermeer, and at least one graphic novel.

#2, on the other hand, is my non-fiction boy. It is conceivable that he doesn't even know where the fiction section of the library is! Right now, he's reading a fairly advanced re-telling of the Greek myths.

Then there's #3, who tends to be quite discriminating. He knows exactly what he doesn't like, and sometimes I think he purposely chooses books at the library based on how heavy they are to carry home!

At the risk of sounding like a public service announcement, have you visited your public library lately?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a good library. We don't have events at ours.
I do take my Mom there every two weeks or so though..

Lowa said...

Sounds fun!!! My kids won't go to the activities there. I tried to take them to a PJ party there once and they groused and whined and glared at everyone. They thought everything the people did was lame. *sigh* I thought it was very well organised and fun! Dern kids are so picky. Just like their Dad! HUMPH.

That is awesome that Main Man is taking off work. How great! I know your boys are pleased:)

We have a lot of events at our's also. And the best part about our's is that it is right next to Starbucks:) teehee

Happy, that is so sweet of you to take your Mom. I hope my sons end up like you!

Anonymous said...

I love our library. One of my greatest pleasures as a parent has been instilling a love of books in my children (I was dubious if boys would love reading) and we spend many hours at the library. Plus it's one of the few places I take them that I really love too!

Library Mama said...

Happy - That is really nice that you take your mom. Do you check out books too?

Lowa - That's too bad your kids don't like the library activities. Like I said in my post, my older boys are getting a little jaded about some of them, but #3 still loves them all.

Ella - Welcome - it's so nice to "meet" you. I agree about the library being a place that we all love. I find, though, that I don't get much of a chance to enjoy it (for my reasons) when I have all three boys with me. I try to slip off to the library on my own once in a while, as well.

Thanks for the comments, friends. Happy reading! :-)

Visits