Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Book Review: The Lincoln Lawyer

I've always enjoyed stories about the law profession. I've read most of John Grisham's books. Main Man says I've seen so many reruns of Law and Order that I can tell you the entire plot of an episode simply by seeing the first 30 seconds. I still have nostalgic feelings for those Thursday evenings long ago when our household would stand still for the weekly L.A. Law hour.

I'm ashamed to admit that I had never read anything by Michael Connelly before I picked up The Lincoln Lawyer. The law angle grabbed me, and since I've read it, I've learned about several other Connelly books that also look intriguing.

The Lincoln Lawyer gets its title from the main character, Mickey Haller, a criminal defence attorney who uses his Lincoln as both a vehicle and an office. At first, I didn't find Haller a very likeable character. He is indiscriminate in his choice of client and is clearly not one of those idealistic young legal eagles Grisham tends to romanticize about. Haller is in the game for the take.

Slowly, though, I developed an appreciation for the character. It was gripping to see the view from the defense side of the courtroom. And I almost began to agree with Haller's assertion that everyone, no matter how guilty, deserves the most powerful defence possible.

That is, until Haller himself begins to doubt it.

When you become acquainted with Haller, it's a challenging thought that he could possibly get in over his head - with anything. But he does manage it, and that is the essence of the story.

This is a story of a seasoned defence attorney who encounters a client - and a case - that makes him question most of what has motivated him throughout his career. And therefore, begins to question his profession.

If you decide to read this book, I don't think you'll question your decision.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might read this because I like the colours on the cover of the book. For me it's all about a colourful cover..

Lowa said...

Happy, you are hilarious!

This sounds good, LM. I will put it on hold at my library:)

Bathroom Hippo said...


Stop watching American TV!

Or change your nationality!

Library Mama said...

Happy - You should love my next book review!

Lowa - It took me a little while to get into it, but then I began to really like it.

Hippo - I will never change my nationality, my friend. :-) Not sure about stopping with American TV either. ;-)

Karen - Yes, I did read a few from Oprah one summer. And they were great. I think my favourite was Where the Heart Is. It was phenomenal.

Visits