Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Summer School! What Genius Though That Up?


Summer School! What Genius Thought That Up? is the eighth book in the Hank Zipzer series written be Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver. Yes - that Henry Winkler, AKA The Fonz.

I must admit that the reason I bought this book was that I was curious what kind of junior novel Henry Winkler thought he could write. The book sat on my shelf for quite a while, untouched. Then, a teaching colleague whose son HATES to read saw it on my shelf and asked to borrow it. Evidently, her son had discovered the series, and had caught fire with it (I love when that happens!). He hadn't read the eighth book yet.

When I got it back from them, I decided to dive in. And I can see why this young (previous) non-reader had fallen in love with this series.

Hank Zipzer is in Grade Four and has reading problems. In this installment in the series, Hank must attend summer school while his best friends get to attend "Junior Explorers", an exciting day-camp also held at the school. You can just imagine how Hank feels about the situation.

Fortunately, Hank's summer school teacher is the coolest teacher in school. He manages to talk Hank into doing a research project on Albert Einstein. At first, Hank has no idea who Einstein is, but Hank's grandpa takes him to the library (there's that wonderful word again! :), and, together, they do a bit of searching.

Once he sees a picture of Einstein, Hank is instantly drawn to his wild hair. Upon digging a little deeper, though, Hank realizes just why Mr. Rock suggested Einstein as a topic; Einstein, recognized as one of the world's most intelligent people ever, had almost the same reading disability that Hank has.

The book holds many interesting sub-plots, including a younger sister with a pet iguana, a bully and his annoying girlfriend, a Hawaiian luau and a talent show, and, together with Einstein, they serve to give the book a subtle message of the importance of believing in yourself.

My only beef about the book is a minor one. Although the characters are meant to be in Grade Four, they seem older to me. Their motivations don't seem to resonate with the way Fourth Graders would see the world. Still, most readers, especially younger ones, wouldn't notice this or care.

Fonz, ya did a great job! Aaaaaaaaaaayh!

6 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...



Aaaaaaaaayh, Mrs. M!

-hits the door to turn on the fan-


Aaaaaaaayh! -thumbs up-

Mentok said...

I've read an interview with Winkler about this series. Like J.K. Rowling, he has the long-term plot all sketched out. Apparently, in the last book of the series, Hank Zipzer jumps a shark with his motorcycle. ;-)

(of all the burdens Henry Winkler must bear, the worst must be that the expression "jump the shark" has become immortalized in TV lingo as meaning that a long-running show has become ridiculously bad.)

So, am I right in assuming that this series is semi-autobiographical? I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Winkler himself has some sort of reading disability.

Bathroom Hippo said...


Blasphemy!

Henry Winkler sacrificed his career so that we might have salvation through his name.

Fonz 3:16

Lowa said...

Yes, Henry has dyslexia. Is that the correct spelling?? No one knew what it was, his parents were very hard on him and he thought he was stupid.

He is the father of Adam Sandler in the new movie "Click". Very good movie, but not for younger kids.

Thanks for this tip, I will get these books for my sons. They LOVE the Fonz and watch Happy Days reruns often.

Library Mama said...

Hippo - Awww Peter, you're a good boy!

Mentok - I'm glad Lowa could answer your question. I went back to the book to see if it said anything about this and it didn't.

Lowa - Yes, that's how you spell dyslexia. At least I think so. My older boys saw Click. I think they enjoyed it, but they said it was sadder than they expected. Keep me posted on whether or not your boys like the Zipzer series.

Mentok said...

Lowa LOL - I never noticed before that 'dyslexia' is hard to spell. Funny!

It would make a great ad, eh?

"Dyslexia - If you can't spell it, you might have it" ;-)

Visits