Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Downtown

I've been driving Main Man to work in the mornings in order to avoid paying downtown parking charges.

We live in a very small city by most people's standards, so traffic jams and downtown pollution aren't factors. Also, we live close enough to the downtown area that the return commute is no longer than a half hour.

I really enjoy the drive. I love watching the hustle and bustle of everyone in the mornings: the young sleek business people with their cell phones and Starbucks cups, the double parked Fed Ex workers rushing around with big brown envelopes, the slackers on their way to work in the comic book store down the street from Main Man's office.

I also love the downtown "characters"; there's an older man with long grey hair and a matching beard, slightly reminiscent of a shopping mall Santa Claus. No matter what the temperature, he wears an ugly long-sleeved green work shirt with matching pants and a dirty peaked cap. He is often carrying a full green garbage bag. I don't like to imagine what could be contained therein.

I also enjoy the short time I have alone with Main Man - 10 or 15 minutes of uninterrupted adult conversation - no distracting televisions or computer screens in sight.

Pet Peeve: Pedestrians who constantly move around while they are waiting to cross at a corner. When I want to make a right turn around that corner, I can never tell if they are going to step right out in front of my vehicle. Stand still. Then I have a better idea what you're thinking.

5 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...


I hit a pedestrian before....then just drove off. True Story.

You're in my movie I'll post on Thursday! Don't feel too glad...you die...along with 90% of the cast.

Big Pissy said...

Traffic?

Pedistrians at street corners?

Starbucks?

We have none of those things in Hell.....

Library Mama said...

Hippo - I bet that pedestrian was moving around on the corner before you hit him.

Looking forward to that movie, Hippo. Sounds like a Shakespearean tragedy. ;-)

Pissy - I could live without traffic or pedestrians, but if you don't have a Starbucks, you must live in Hell!

Anonymous said...

I can't stand pedestrians who do that. Well, I can stand them but they make me angry. Well, annoyed anyways..

Lowa said...

Yes, those pedestrians make me nervous, too!! If the kids and I ever walk down to 7-11 and are waiting to cross, I always make them stand far back and keep relatively still. Which means not jumping around TOO much!!!

They think I am silly but I tell them, "Wait until you are driving, then you will understand!"

Visits