Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Book Review: Rink of Dreams


Rink of Dreams by Nancy L. M. Russell is the consummate Canadian book for young adults.

How can any Canadian youth not enjoy a book about a boy who dreams of being in the NHL?

Still, the reasons I enjoyed it went far beyond this obvious theme.

Gary MacDonald has been skating since he was two years old, and he practices hockey every winter on the rink his father builds him in the backyard.

The winter of Gary's fourteenth year, however, is fraught with changes and uncertainty. His parents are divorcing, and he must cope with the challenges of maintaining his position on an extremely competitive AAA Bantam hockey team. As a young, physically slight player, he is finding it difficult to get used to the physical contact on the ice and the emotional intimidation off the ice.

Helping Gary through the winter is the arrival of an NHL farm team to his community of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. The excitement permeates the entire city, as players they had previously only seen on television are suddenly living in their midst.

Gary's father's law firm participates in an "Adopt a Player" program, where a player is helped to assimilate into the community. The MacDonald family becomes very close with Dmitri Rushkov, an 18-year-old Russian player. This friendship leads to some intriguing and potentially dangerous situations for all involved.

This book appeals to both male and female readers, for the hockey situations seem realistic, and I think young hockey players would enjoy and respect the way Russell portrays them. Also explored, though, is Gary's confusion regarding his parents' divorce and all of the changes he's encountering, and I think girls would find this aspect of the book appealing.

I find it interesting that the short bio on Russell found on the back of the book indicates that she is a journalist with CBC Radio and Television. As I read this book, there were times I could easily envision this as a CBC made-for-TV movie.

4 comments:

Lowa said...

Wow, my 11 year old will love this!

He will start Pee Wee in a few months and has played for a few years. He LOVES hockey, dreams not only of playing in the NHL, but of having a rink in the backyard. LOL


Since we live where we live, that is truly a dream. It might snow here once a year and lasts two days at most before it melts. So there is no chance of any backyard rinks like my brothers and I got to have. Not that I cared. But anyway, I will check into this book.

Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

Girls can't write hockey books, tee,hee..

Bathroom Hippo said...


That's one book I'll have to put back into the dust.

Hockey just doesn't do it for me...that's probably blasphemy to you...but ah well.

Library Mama said...

Lowa - I hope your son likes the book. I found it quite exciting.

When it's 40 below here, I will envy your two days of snow!

Happy - I must confess I had the same thought when I spied the name of the author. Isn't that terrible?!? But you and I were both wrong. Girls can write hockey books!

Hippo - If you can accept Mentok's Buddhism, then I can accept your disinterest in hockey. ;-)

Visits