Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Healthy Choices?

Some observations from the grocery store:

1. I bought "light BUTTER" microwave popcorn the other day. That's how they market it. The BUTTER is in this huge eye-catching font, and the "light" is almost invisible. It's like we ought to be ashamed of buying light.

Then, yesterday, I went to pop a bag, and the instructions on the inner bag were given in no fewer than ELEVEN languages. I would list them if I knew what they all were. Can you believe it - 11?!

2. I also bought "fat-free creamer". Thought I'd give it a try. In its favour, it is an actual dairy product - not one of those fat-free edible oil products (Figure that one out - how can "fat-free" and "oil" co-exist?). However - the second ingredient (after skim milk) is glucose. A tablespoon of fat-free creamer is only 5 calories less than the half 'n' half Main Man uses. Worth it? I'm not so sure.

3. I bought some deli meats too. I was surprised to find that fat-free ham has fewer calories than barbecue chicken or smoked turkey - with the brands I bought anyway.

4. Be careful with whole wheat pasta too. It's marketed to be so much healthier for you, but I checked and, with the brands I compared, the whole wheat had more calories and less fibre that the regular pasta. Whodathunkit?

Shopping has become a veritable scavenger hunt since I started trying to lose weight in January. Some of the so-called "healthy choices" aren't always as healthy as you would think.

6 comments:

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hello dear Teacher,
I'm coming over to say Hi from Booklogged.
I'm sorry that I have to divert from this post but do forgive me as it's the first time. Though I will keep in mind what you wrote.
I wanted to say how exciting I thought it was that you liked and enjoyed Rosamnude Pilcher and you know I had no idea Robin was her son. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Also, I have read the majority of Binchy's books...Circle of Friends was my first read though I didn't see the film.
L. Mama, you may just enjoy The Lilac Bus by Binchy. That was highly enjoyable too with eccentric characters grouped together.
Here's hoping we can be friends.
in the meanwhile, happy mummy-ing, happy reading & happy teaching

Library Mama said...

Hello Susan,

It is a pleasure to meet you. Thank you so much for stopping by.

Yes, I've read The Lilac Bus. I think I have probably read everything Binchy has published now. That's actually a sad feeling. It was so much fun hunting down her books and reading them. Now, it appears the hunt is over, unless and until she publishes something new.

Funny, every time I finish a Binchy book, I feel a little sad, as if a good friend has moved far away and I may never see her again. I love the way she builds her characters in such a way that you feel as if they are friends, not just characters in a book.

Rosamunde Pilcher does this as well. Funny, one summer, I was reading nothing but Pilcher, and I unthinkingly began speaking with a slight British accent. The boys and I began to have "tea-time" instead of afternoon snack. They still call it that, even though it's been years.

Thank you again for stopping by. I will visit your blog soon.

Mom O Matic said...

Beware the cancer BUTTER in the popcorn. I realize this sounds all urban myth of me. But there were all these cancer cases of the factory folks who worked in a microwave popcorn factory. Swear it!

Library Mama said...

Thanks, Lotta. I hadn't heard of that.

Welcome, by the way. Great to meet you. I found your site out through Crazy Hip Blog Mamas, and I see you found me right back.

Come back again soon.

Framed said...

I can really relate to this post as I have been on a low-fat diet for about a year. (High Cholestrol) So I checked fat grams and didn't worry as much about calories although I looked since I was checking anyway. I was able to lose 30 pounds in 5 months but have lost and found the same two pounds ever since. Truthfully, I haven't been as faithful on the low-fat as I should be. I like deli meats and fat-free cheese on multi-grain bread, but fat-free mayonnaise is gross. I eat a lot of frozen low-fat meals which works since I live alone. I find it's hard to be a reader and eat well. Reading calls for peanut clusters. Good luck. I will check your blog for progress updates.

Library Mama said...

30 pounds in 5 months!? That is so impressive!

I've actually done quite well, too. Since Jan.1, I've lost 26 pounds. Like you, though, there are 2 or 3 pounds now that I keep gaining and losing, gaining and losing.

Keep it up!

And thanks for visiting!

Visits