Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Learning and Earning

Summertime - the sky is blue, the temperature is hot, the livin' is easy, and the kids are drivin' me nuts!

That's not really fair. I'm sure I'm driving them as crazy as they are driving me.

We have a system to keep the brain juices flowing through the summer. We call it the learning points system, and the purpose is to prevent television rot from setting in.

Like most kids, ours could very easily spend the whole summer smack-dab in front of the tv set or the computer screen. Main Man and I came up with this system to prevent that and, at the same time, promote literacy, thinking skills, and excitement for the coming school year.

One learning point is earned by any one of the following:
1. reading (5 chapters by #1, who is an avid reader, or 2 chapters by #2, not quite as avid)
2. completing one page in the "workbook" I purchased for each of them, in which they do activities designed for their year coming up in school
3. playing a game of chess, Pente, or Mastermind (winner gets an extra point)
4. completing a level on All the Right Type, a computer program to practice typing

They each get one half hour (free) of television and computer time each day, and they can "spend" their learning points as follows:
1 point for an extra half hour of tv or computer time
10 points each for me to pay for them to go to a movie
5 points each for me to rent them a movie
10 points for a sleepover
15 points each to rent a game system

Both the earning list and the spending list is expandable. The whole system is a work in progress.

One wonderful side effect is that it has cut down a bit on the bickering. They are allowed to watch each other's half hour of tv, but he who pays the piper calls the tune, so there's no fighting over what to watch.

And even #2, who would rather fly to the moon than read a book, will occasionally retreat to his room to read in order to earn a point. (It is my hope that, through this extrinsic benefit, he will slowly begin to absorb the intrinsic benefits of reading.)

Even #3, who goes into kindergarten in the fall, has his own workbook, and loves to sit down at the kitchen table and do his "homework".

Just had a thought though - thank goodness they don't make me pay for my computer time.

5 comments:

Lowa said...

Excellent idea!

Since we homeschool, we just never take a summer break. That keeps the juices flowing all year and then we can relax. I don't worry if we spend all day in Seattle and didn't get any lessons done or something. Because I know all will be well in the long run.

I may try that with Jock. He is 11 and still really fights reading. Thinks of himself as slow or dumb or something because his 13 and 7 year old brothers love to read and he doesn't. I just tell him everyone is different and we all have our various gifts and talents. Your idea may encourage him a little!

We also have a point system in place so they can earn TV/computer time, etc.

http://www.familytools.com/pegs.htm


We use it for chores/attitude, etc. I never thought of using it to encourage him to read more:)

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a lot of work for a short time on the computer or watching tv.
Keep that up and the next thing you know your kids will grow up all responsible and such and won't fit into society at all..

Bathroom Hippo said...


Your points suck!


P.S> #1 says I can have all his points.

BarbaraMG said...

I also try to keep my kids brains working during the summer. I just discovered Brain Quest and we are having a lot of fun with that.
You have some great ideas! Mind if I borrow them?

Library Mama said...

Lowa - Your points system looks great, as well. I'll read more closely when I have a bit more time. Thanks for the link.

Happy - I know; that's a big chance we're taking! ;-)

Hippo - Sorry - points are not transferrable. You'll have to earn your own. What are you reading right now? ;-)

Barbara - Go right ahead and borrow all you want. The glory of the system is that it is so adaptable.

I love BrainQuest too. I use it in my classroom.

Visits