Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Who's Ready for a Burger?


Last night was the school year-end barbecue - lots of fun. You know, I totally admire those parents who take the time to plan these events for the community. I wish I could help, but this event is a no-brainer for me. There's no way I could help plan it. I had to ask myself more than once if I could spare the two hours to attend it!

Still, I'm so glad I did. It was relaxing to visit with friends and watch the kids play in the schoolyard. Just the tonic I needed to get through the next six (count 'em!) days.

Watching the boys at their various stages of social development was fascinating. In between visiting (gossiping?) with the other moms and dads, I would glance up and visually find the boys in the playground.

#1 was sitting with a posse of his 12-year-old guy friends, eating and laughing, appearing to ignore, but most probably completely aware of, the posse of 12-year-old girls at the next table.

#2 sat and ate with us, then ran to play basketball with his 9-year-old friends.

#3 didn't sit down once. I know some parents out there will think I'm doing this all wrong, but I didn't insist he sit down with us. He was so pumped! He played with his friends on the playstructures and checked in with us for a few bites of hot dog and salad every ten minutes or so. Oh - I forgot - I did insist he stay with us once he got his ice cream cone. No way was I going to hold an ice cream cone while it dripped down my wrist. And, sorry folks, but I am not a big fan of Tiger Tiger.

Anyway, a grand time was had by all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I wish we did that here..

Big Pissy said...

Sounds like a lot of fun.

How old is #3?

Bathroom Hippo said...


What about #4? =P

Library Mama said...

Happy - It was really fun. And, like I said, all planned by parents of kids in the school. No school staff was even there.

Pissy - #3 is five. He starts kindergarten in the fall. And he is just one big ball of personality. I already expect our phone number to be on the principal's speed dial list once #3 starts school!

Haha, Hippo - You're determined to see me barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen, aren't you? =P

Visits