Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Father's Day Recap

I hope all you dads out there had a wonderful Father's Day.

I didn't get a chance to talk to my dad. I tried a few times, left two messages, but no actual vocal contact.

He and his wife had been to my sister's for a few days. My brother-in-law is retiring from the teaching profession, and there was a big shindig to celebrate, so Dad and Ruth were invited. Then they spent a few days at my sister's cottage overlooking the lake, a beautiful, relaxing place.

Apparently, they headed home yesterday, but were planning to stop to visit a couple of friends in various and sundry places on the way, so I never got a chance to connect.

I think Main Man had a good day. It started with gifts, cards, and well-wishes from the boys and me. He got a new barbecue set and a DVD that he had hugely hinted at.

Then, a morning to himself as I carted the boys off to church.

Then, an afternoon to himself as I again carted the boys off - this time to my school. As you can imagine, this ever-so-slightly hampered progress on my work, but Main Man had given me such a relaxing Mother's Day that I just couldn't leave him high and dry on his big day.

Later, a wonderful supper of barbecued steak and his favourite potato and vegetable dishes.

I hate that Father's Day falls smack-dab in the middle of Report Card Season. Although I try to give him a relaxing day, I'm sure he can feel my tension as I madly punch numbers into my calculator with my red pen.

The light - I see it - way down there at the end of the tunnel. What's that? Oh yeah, you're right. Before we get there, there is a mountain to climb, a raging river to ford, and a pride of hungry lions (or is that a group of antsy middle graders?) to conquer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would think that doing report cards would be quite easy at this time of year. Just pass everyone and say they are all wonderful.
I have to do performance appraisals on staff and that is much harder. I think anyways.
You don't have to see the rotten kids again. Some other teacher will have to deal with them next year.
After my appraisals are done I'm still stuck with them.
Hope that cheers you up..

Bathroom Hippo said...


Men love barbecue's.

If I could have any woman in the world or a barbecue set....

Goodness....tough decision.

Mentok said...

You see how lucky I am, Hippo...

A wonderful woman AND a barbecue set.

No tough decisions for me.

It is very, by the way. Its innovative design is such that, in a pinch, any of the other tools can be used as a burger flipper.

(the barbecue set, that is. The woman is actually useless as a burger flipper ;-)

Bathroom Hippo said...



I find your argument intriguing. I have also found women to be useless at most of the arts involving the mighty barbecue set. For a long period of time I pondered the question: Why are women here? The answer I received was profound. Sex, God answered. Sex, my young hippopotamus. I thanked God, and we both talked about politics for the next 5 minutes.

After that we went to test out God's new barbecue set...you know the one I made for him? You know that one I've been working on for 3 years? Anyway. God makes a mighty good burger, I tell you whot. After that we discussed why propane was more efficient than charcoal.

I still go to the lake sometimes to talk to God....

What the hell am I doing in Canada?

Library Mama said...

I wish report cards were that simple, Happy! I teach in a suburban community where almost all of the parents are professionals. The good news is that they value education very highly. The bad news is that they are very big on accountablility, and question many, many things that we teachers do. That in itself is not bad per se, but it can cause stress at this time. Even an innocently miscalculated grade could cause a fair bit of conflict.

Thank you for the compliment, Mentok. Glad you like your new barbecue tools.

Hippo - I must say that I've always thought of God as more of a steak man than a burger man. You've shaken my beliefs a bit.

Visits