Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, June 12, 2006

And Now From the "Nothing Else Matters" Department

Let me tell you about a friend of mine.

She is part of our Church School team. She and I share the job of teaching the preschoolers. She has two sons; both of them are wonderful, clever, polite little boys. One of them is eight and a half years old; the other one just turned five. I know the five-year-old a little better because he is in our preschool class. He has these huge brown eyes that observe everything. He is quiet most of the time, but when he does speak, it is with a wisdom that contradicts his tender years.

My friend is younger than I am, and she has a promising academic career. She is a sessional lecturer in the English department at our university, and all indications show that she is well-liked by her students. She is keenly intelligent, and is adept at conveying the truth to people in a matter-of-fact manner without offending or antagonizing.

She has been a strong advocate for our Church School. It was almost exclusively her hard work and lobbying that persuaded the church council to hire a paid coordinator for our little outfit last summer, thereby saving us from an inevitable demise.

My friend hasn't had much of an opportunity to benefit from the support we've received from our coordinator. You see, right around the time they hired our new leader, my friend was diagnosed with bowel cancer.

She and her family have fought hard this year. Her husband is like a towering oak, supporting her with his strength and protecting her as well as he can from the harsh elements. I don't see the little boys very often now, but my heart aches for them. No child should have to go down that road.

My friend's parents also attend our church, and yesterday they shared some news with us - even more heart-breaking than the last. Last week, she was admitted to the hospital with what was thought to be a case of pneumonia. Upon further investigation, though, it was found that the villainous cancer had spread to her lungs.

All I can think about are those two little boys. I simply cannot imagine the pain pulsing through that family. And I so wish I could do something - anything - to help. At times like these I feel truly helpless.

I've always made it through rough times by persuading myself that everything happens for a reason. There is a plan somewhere, and we're just not quite meant to comprehend it. This one has me really stumped, though.

Maybe situations like this are meant to teach the rest of us to appreciate life a bit more, to treasure each day, and not to sweat the small stuff. That things like that just don't matter.

That nothing else matters, except the people we love.

There's got to be an easier way to help us learn such a lesson.

8 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...


God is a jerk...however....
the only thing that makes sense to me....is that this life is so tiny and all but meaningless compared to the next life. This life is probably .000000000001% compared to the next....that the suffering here....will be well worth it.

I dunno...I just don't know. Maybe Buddhists and bugzappers are the way to go.

Mentok said...

Well, Hippo has thrown down the gauntlet, so I'd better take a stab at a Buddhist perspective...

The physical universe is random. Only our vanity (which is bad karma, a sin) causes us to believe physical events happen for a reason.

The only big-picture patterns are those created by karma, which is a function of human choices. This includes not only the personal choices of our individual life, but also the defining choices made in our previous "lives" - in other words, the choices made by our ancestors, our friends, our enemies and those who established the culture and society in which we live.

This woman did not acquire cancer because of bad karma. There were no bad choices (that we know of) in her life or in previous lives that caused it. It was caused purely by bad luck.

What is more important are the consequences of her good karma. She has a strong and supportive spouse. She has healthy, well-adjusted children who (eventually) will be able to cope with the loss. She has an extensive church community that supports her. In her short time in her current body, she made positive contributions to the spiritual happiness of others.

A bad person - a person with bad karma - would suffer a great deal more in the face of such bad luck. But her suffering will be greatly diminished and her strength will be an inspiration to many. Her lasting legacy to future human lives will be entirely positive.

...And the fact that you feel sorrow and empathy about the situation proves that you have good karma and that your friend has helped increase your store of good karma.

It is nonetheless a tragedy. No words or philosophy can ever fully salve our pain in such circumstances.

Bathroom Hippo said...


I just think God plays a very limited role in our lives. Karma or no Karma...God often lets the events unfold themselves. Why? Because in the great big scheme of things...it just doesn't matter.

Heh...Buddhism.

Library Mama said...

I'm certainly no expert in religion and spirituality, although I do feel that I have faith.

Here's how I see it.

Hippo, I agree with you that, although God is within all of us, He is not necessarily directing every moment of everyone's life. God is not the absolute cause of all of the bad things in one's life. He is also not the absolute cause of all of the good things in one's life.

What is most important (and here is where my philosophy is decidedly different from Mentok's) is that, when those good things happen in our lives, we maintain a spirit of gratitude, whether it be to God or Karma or whatever. Then, when the bad things happen, we can rely on our faith in God or Karma or whatever to give us the strength to cope.

I don't know if this makes sense. I'm not feeling particularly articulate today.

And I'm sure Mentok will pick it apart.

But c'est la vie....

Bathroom Hippo said...


Mentok couldn't pick his nose if he had to.

BarbaraMG said...

I have no answers for that one. So sad. I do beleive in prayer though and will pray for her and her family.

Library Mama said...

Thank you, Barbara.

Glad to see you're feeling well enough to be "out and about" blogging.

Big Pissy said...

How sad.....

I'm so sorry for your friend and her family.

I'm sure everyone's prayers will help.

Visits