Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Welcome to my Party

I am alone.

I mean that in an entirely good way.

I hadn't realized how significant that sentence could be. I think I could count on one hand the hours I am alone in a month (with the exception of commuting time).

Right now I'm supposed to be marking papers. That was my intention with this time alone. But I feel like a teenager left alone in the house for a weekend. I feel like partying! To a forty-year-old mother, though, that means putting in the earbuds and blogging. Life has become ever-so-slightly sad, hasn't it?

I have the day off today. Main Man is at the office. #1 and#2 are in school, and #3 is at daycare. No one needs me right now. I'm very relaxed.

I am revelling in an Earned Day Off. That means that I have performed a certain number of extra-curricular supervision hours (in my particular case, more than 120 hours of running rehearsals for the school musical and coaching the Debate team) throughout the school year. My payment for those 120+ hours is two days off. Yes, that's right; a 120-hour investment results in a 16 hour pay-out. Yes, I teach Math - I recognise the discrepancy. But that's the way it is. Hey - it's better than no payback at all, which is what I was offered for the first 15 years of my teaching career.

I chose today for my EDO because this morning was our parent orientation meeting for kindergarten next year. Blah, blah, blah....We've heard it all twice before, but #3 will have a different teacher from the one #1 and #2 had, so we felt we should attend.

#3 was pumped, though. He attended what he called his "kindergarten tryout". Now, if it really was a "tryout", I wonder what he expected would happen if he didn't really like it. I needn't worry about that, though, as he loved it. Double loved it! He danced on his way back to daycare after his hour in the kindergarten room. I think we'll have to have a little talk tonight about how long the summer is.

I thought I might feel a bit wistful about it all. I mean, he's my baby. Soon all three of my boys will have "other women" in their lives. But I'm not overly sentimental. I'm excited. Guess enthusiasm actually is contagious.

Well, piles of test papers and notebooks are calling my name. So, party's over folks. Be sure not to drink and drive. Thanks for coming by.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being alone is fun. Unless you are in a haunted house or something. Which I don't think you are.
So enjoy..

Library Mama said...

No, my house is decidedly not haunted. No ghost would stay in the chaos of this establishment!

Visits