Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Irony

So after all the company was gone Sunday, after the buffet table was tidied and the leftovers wrapped and refrigerated, after the dirty dishes were loaded into the hungry dishwasher, Main Man and his three boys - including newly-confirmed-into-the-Anglican-faith #3 - sat down, put their feet up and proceeded to watch a movie on TV - Hellboy!

9 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...



Good movie.

Good freakin' movie.

Mentok said...

You forgot the part where #3 put on a devil costume and danced around the living room.

That was, indeed, a confirmation celebration to remember!

(You mistakenly refer to the newly confirmed son as #3, when it was of course #1. And you call yourself their mother! ;-)

Mentok said...

P.S. Sorry to restart a long-time argument...

This isn't irony. It's funny but not ironic. Irony must involve human frailty or hubris and/or should involve the observer having more information than the observed. Now, as we proved yesterday, you are smarter than me, but I don't see where there's any of that in this situation.

At least that's my view. Seems like there's millions of views on irony. Any takers for a debate on the subject?

Bathroom Hippo said...



I smell divorce.

Library Mama said...

One of the definitions of irony, as supplied by Dictionary.com is:

Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs

Most people would expect a family who had just celebrated a solemn religious occasion to be watching The Sound of Music or A Change of Habit, not Hellboy.

And no, Hippo, divorce is not in our vocabulary. (But what does it smell like?)

Big Pissy said...

Oh cut 'em some slack.

They were just gearing up
for today: 666

Anonymous said...

Hellboy is a great movie. Good choice..

Lowa said...

I've never seen that. What year is it from???

Library Mama said...

Lowa - It was made in 2004. It's based on a comic book. You can read more about it at:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167190/

Visits