Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

I think I may have a new reader today.

I would like to extend a welcome to my sister-in-law. She and her family were over last night for a barbecue to (belatedly) celebrate #1's birthday, and I told her about my blog. She emailed herself my URL on the spot, so if she's out there reading this, I'm glad.

Now that I've set that up, I have a story to tell that involves her in the periphery. I hope she doesn't take offence. Actually, I think she'll get a laugh out of it.

Main Man was excitedly digging and planting in his beloved garden yesterday. Because of busy-ness and rain over the last month or so, he has had to put gardening off, so he was very happy to finally have a sun-filled sky on a Sunday afternoon to enjoy his little plot.

I, of course, was at the kitchen table working on my reports, trying to dodge bullets of, "Mo-o-o-o-om, what can I do? There's nothing to do. Can you take us to the science centre? Can we.......?"

Suddenly, the phone rang, and everyone ran for it. I won.

On the phone was my aforementioned SIL, calling to apologise that they would be a little late in arriving because her son wouldn't get off work until 6:00.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Had I even remembered that we were having company for supper? Of course not.

Main Man had set up this date a couple of weeks ago. I had known about it, but it had been completely pushed out of my conscious mind with thoughts of numbers, letters, and "Have a great summer!"s

Thank goodness our nephew had to work that day! Otherwise, we would have had quite a surprise come suppertime.

Luckily, that fateful phone call had come early enough that a wonderful supper was able to be put together in time. Even the livingroom carpet was vacuumed and the house relatively ship-shape in time.

Whew!

5 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...


Mentok has a sister? Is she green and does she have a beard?


DOES SHE HAVE MIND-TAKING ABILITIES?

Library Mama said...

Actually, Hippo, it's Mentok's brother's wife.

She is not green. She has no beard.

I don't think she has mind-taking abilities. At least, I hope not....

Anonymous said...

I don't see a comment from her. Are you sure she didn't just tell you she was going to read your blog so she wouldn't hurt your feelings..

Big Pissy said...

Thank goodness she called.

But can you imagine the fun you would have had if she hadn't?!?!? ;-)

Library Mama said...

Happy - you are positively wicked! I'm going to have to work at getting you back.

Pissy - I'm not sure it would have been fun! In fact, I could see myself blowing up at Main Man for no real reason if that had happened, 'cause that's just the kind of girl I am. ;-)

Visits