Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I Can See Clearly Now...


I went to the optometrist yesterday. I've worn the same glasses since I was expecting #3. I figured I would celebrate his getting ready for kindergarten by throwing myself a little lenses and frames party.

Although I got a pretty early appointment, I took the whole morning off work because I was told that the doctor would be administering drops that may blur my vision for awhile. They turned out to be dilation drops which made my eyes sensitive to light. Seeing as how I'd broken my magnetic clip-on sunglasses years ago, I had no shades with me, so on the ride home I got to wear those chic disposable wraparound sunglass thingies. The height of fashion!

After the appointment, I still had almost two hours until I had to be back at work, so my plan was to mark papers at home until it was time to leave.

Oops, guess you have to be able to see to mark papers!

So I did some laundry, tidied the kitchen a bit more, you know, all that really fun Mom stuff.

By the time I left for work, I thought my eyes were back to normal. Well, they seemed back to normal, anyway, until I got out onto the open road - and the sunshine. My commute is about twenty minutes. All the way there, I was squinting and winking and blinking, trying to cope with the bright yellow ball in the sky. Of course, I had already disposed of my chic disposable shades.

So, if your husband was driving my way yesterday, girls, please don't hate me. I was not trying to pick him up. I was not flirting with him. I was not even thinking of winking at him. To be honest, I could not even focus on him enough to see him.

I was just trying to see my way clear to get to work.

12 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...


Happens to me every year. Now gynecological visits...those are special.

Library Mama said...

Don't expect a report on that, Hippo.

Mentok said...

I've been meaning to tell you I like the new avatar...

What is it exactly? It looks like a woman with a bullet hole in her head cutting a pile of sausages with a butcher knife. Very cool.

I'm not sure what that has to do with books, though.

Perhaps I should be taking it as a threat! Yikes! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Do gynecological visits make women wink at strange men too..

X said...

Makes me think of Stockwell's theme song........Johnny Nash's tune.......I can see clearly now, the rain is gone.........I can see all obstacles in my way........

Damn politics!!!

Bathroom Hippo said...


Women love the gynecology.


God bless America!

Library Mama said...

Glad you liked the new avatar, Mentok. I decided to change it since it posed such a challenge for you.

Happy, I can think of very little that would make me less apt to wink at men than having just gone to the gynecologist. :p

Daniel - if I had known that song had had any connection with Stock Day, I never would have used it in my title! ;)

And Hippo, Hippo, Hippo..... American women must be a whole different animal to Canadian ones, because I can't think of a woman up here who "loves the gynecology"....

BarbaraMG said...

My eyes are the most light sensitve eyes my optometrist has ever seen and I am always squinting and blinking. People think I am giving them dirty looks!

I was over at Happy & BLue and 4-way stops freak me out too.

Library Mama said...

Barbara and her evil eye.... ;)

Mentok said...

I think when Hippo said "women love the gynecology" he meant to say the amateur gynecology rather than the professional variety.

Library Mama said...

Eeeewwwwwwwww! Yucccch!

Big Pissy said...

Heh! I'm laughing at the image of you "winking" at all those men on your way back to work! ;-)

Visits