Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Party Time!


Today is the day we are celebrating #1's birthday.

Main Man lives for the boys' birthday parties. He has been the King of Birthday Party Planning for nine years now. He has put together pirate parties, Spy Kids parties, Star Wars parties, Water War parties, Peter Pan parties, fireman parties, Shrek parties, Harry Potter parties, and Superhero School parties. At one of #2's parties, the kids and Main Man even made their own movie, complete with edits and credits.

MM creates a party from the invitations to the take-home gifts. For the pirate party, the invitations were messages in bottles. The take-home gifts were toy swords, pirate costumes, complete with (temporary) tattoos, and mops for swabbing the decks. The mops were the favourite things - imagine!

For one of the spy parties, the invitations were on CD, in code, and each guest had a secret password they had to say to be admitted into the party. He even included cool spy music on the CD, so the kids would want to keep it: songs like "Secret Agent Man" and "Theme from Mission Impossible." The take-home gifts were "spy-gear": shades, water pistols, decoder rings, ID cards.

For the movie party, the invitations were audition calls; the take-homes were mini-Oscars, engraved with each kid's name.

This party will be #1's last: no big theme parties for teenagers.

For this party, #1 will be King for a Day. He and six of his buddies are taking a limo to an amusement place here in town with batting cages, go-Karts, mini-golf, and paintball. After a couple of hours there, they'll hop back into the limo to go for a little drive around, then end up at Burger King for supper. Then, they'll walk across the street to Dairy Queen for ice cream cake, where parents will pick them up. I don't know who is most excited: #1, Main Man, or#2 and#3.

I hope they all have a great time.

I will be the woman following along in the blue mini-van with the soothing spa music playing, calculating report card marks whenever I stop at a red light.

10 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...


As long as he doesn't serve bugs at the party...

Library Mama said...

Do French flies count, Hippo?

BlondeMom - Main Man has never done a girl's party, but with a little consultation, I think he'd do a great job.

Lowa said...

Wow, this is awesome!

We were going to have our son do the limo thing for his 13th, but he CHOSE NOT TO!?!?! HELLO!?!?

I was so sad,I have never been in one and was so looking forward to it.

Been meaning to ask, you gonna try for a girl?? We had three boys first, then got a girl on our 4th try. We weren't actually trying for a girl, we wanted four kids and it worked out this way. Same thing my parents did. I have three older brothers. Same thing my Dad did. He was the oldest of three boys and then a girl. They went on to have another boy after my Aunt.

Anyway, I am sure you get asked that often and it annoys you. Used to tick me off too. I am just curious:) Teehee

BarbaraMG said...

That is so cool! He should start his own business planning parties. :)

Mentok said...

blondemom - I would be happy to consult on a girl's party for free, mainly because I haven't done one before so I'd like the experience...but since the consultation would be free, you know, you get what you pay for.

barbara - thanks for the compliment and the suggestion. I actually hear that a lot. I have looked into it and the sad fact is that there isn't enough money in party planning for a market this size.

I did a business plan one time where I would plan an all-inclusive party that would cost the parents $200-$300 for an average party (8-10 kids). Out of that, my profit would be maybe $50.

In my experience, the average middle class family isn't willing to pay quite that much, and in any case you would have to do a lot of volume to make it pay. Maybe in oil-rich Calgary you could make it work, but not where we live.

But,they are great parties, no doubt. My view is that if you can throw one really great party before you die, then your life has been worthwhile...and I've thrown dozens of great parties, so I feel pretty rich in that way ;-)

So, if you are looking for party ideas (kid or adult), be sure to write 'cause I'd be happy to help.

Busy Mom said...

Sounds like a great time!

Anonymous said...

Those are great ideas for parties. Far better than my standard "Here's $10 for cake. You can come back inside when your friends leave"

Library Mama said...

Well, everybody, the party went really well. We had just one hitch - the weather - so we ended up going to a computer gaming place instead of the amusement place. Otherwise, perfectly as planned.

Lowa - Funny you should ask about trying for a girl. We had a bit of a surprise (shock, more like it!) just after Christmas, when we found out we were expecting a baby. It took us a little while to get used to the idea, as it was not originally in the plan (not our plan, anyway), but just as we were getting really excited about our new addition, I had a miscarriage. It was not our first miscarriage, so in the back of our minds, we were somewhat prepared, but it was a difficult time. Now, I tell myself that God looked down and saw that this Mama was already busy enough!

So, I guess the answer to your questions is, no, I don't think we will try for a girl. I'm not sure I would really know what to do with a girl after my three boys, anyway! :D

Barbara and Busy Mom - You're right - his parties are a blast.

Happy - I don't believe you. I bet you enjoyed your kids parties.

Lowa said...

I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. Been there, done that. NO FUN.


I wanted a girl desperately. When I finally resigned myself to the fact that I would never have one, God decided to give me one. NOw, I am not sure what to do with her! LOL I am not terribly feminine myself, was a tomboy as a kid, and she is far from that. I feel bad for her, she is surrounded by testoterone (I have as much as my three boys put together! LOL) and must wish for a more "female mother"!! LOL Ah well, you can't choose your parents, eh??

Glad the party went well!!!

Library Mama said...

I hear you, Lowa. I, also, tend to be a bit of a tomboy.

From what I have learned about Princess, though, I don't think she has any complaints. :)

Visits