Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Criss Cross Applesauce


Apparently the above phrase is what #3's kindergarten teacher is going to say when she wants them to sit on the carpet for "circle time".

I asked him yesterday if he got a chance to make any new friends at his kindergarten orientation. He told me that he was just starting to get into it, playing with a couple of new boys he hadn't known before, when,"this lady walked into the room, said 'Criss Cross Applesauce', and made us all sit down."

As he rolled his eyes and shrugged in shocked perplexity at this incredible injustice, I tried to explain to him that "that lady" was his teacher and that what she says goes.

Not quite sure the message got through.

Oh well, we have a whole summer to work on it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes sense to me. That's a lot easier than saying "it's circle time kids"..
And speaking to them in some bizarre code will help them understand wacko's later in life. If they happen to seek a career working nights in a convenience store or something..

Bathroom Hippo said...



Be careful. If one gets held back in kindgergarten....one's life is ruined.

Library Mama said...

Hah! You're right, Happy. :)

Hippo - you sound as if you have some experience in this area. Let me guess - a friend of yours? ;)

Nice to have you back. Missed ya'.

Big Pissy said...

heh! My oldest daughter has taught first grade for four years now. She's moving to kindergarten in the fall.

She uses "criss-cross applesauce" b/c using "sit Indian style" is politically incorrect.

or at least that's what they told her during her student teacher days.... :)

Visits