Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Birthday Musings

I took #3 to a birthday party last night.

The demographics involved were interesting. There was one family with a toddler, two families with preschoolers, a grandma who had brought her preschool granddaughter, and me.

Now, even though I have a preschooler, I have other children, of course. Older children. And that's just how I felt. Older.

As #3 happily played with the other kids, I visited with the adults. They all knew each other quite well. Except me. They were all very welcoming and inclusive, but I still felt on a different level. Not a higher level - just a different level.

I felt like I had more in common with the grandmother than the younger parents. Scary...

7 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...


Happy Birthday #3.

Let me guess...Main Man was either:
A) Gone, or B) playing with the preschoolers.

Anonymous said...

You are brave. If I don't know anyone I just pack up and go home..

Mentok said...

Hippo: It wasn't #3's birthday, it was a party he attended.

If it was his party, I would have been running around in party-planner mode.

But, yes, if I was at a kids' party, I would ignore the adults and spend all my time talking to the kids. I still haven't quite figured out the proper rules to Yu-Gi-Oh and I fear its nearing the end of its run.

Big Pissy said...

Awwwww don't worry about age!

It's just a number! :)

That's how I feel about it, anyway. ;-)

Lowa said...

Then is something wrong with me if most of my friends average 20 years older than me??

I just assumed all of us in our 30's were friends with people in their 50's?? Hmmm...

Library Mama said...

Hippo - Hi there! Thanks for stopping in. Sorry I haven't been over your way for a while. I mean, I have been there; I just haven't had time to say much.

Happy - Well, I did know the parents of the birthday boy. They were coaches for #3's soccer team. And they are super nice people.

Mentok - Yes, you are my party boy, aren't you? ;-)

Pissy - I know. I try to think that way, but ever since I turned 40, tiny little doubts have been creeping into my thoughts.....

Lowa - Good to have you back. Hope that new little nephew of yours is happy and healthy.

I have friends in all age groups. I'm just saying that that was probably the first time that I felt more comfortable chatting with the grandmother of the group than the parents.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way when I take #2 (I only have two children) to a bday party. I seem older and don't have the same patience to talk about the toddler stuff. Been there, done that... moving to elementary school chat these days.

But it is a treat to take #2 to her "own" bday parties without her older sister coming. She feels so independent!

Visits