Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Aussie Rules


Main Man and I were at our favourite Irish pub last night. We became rather entranced with the Aussie rules football on the big screen.

It got me thinking how wimpy North American football players must be to wear all that padding. These guys in Aussie rules wear shorts and sleeveless shirts and no visible protection. (There may be padding in places we can't see ;) Players in the CFL and the NFL are armoured to the hilt: helmets, shoulder pads, hip pads and knee pads (and of course that padding we can't see;).

I'm not sure that Aussie rules is all that much safer than North American football, either. Main Man was trying to convince me that the whole idea of the snap at the line of scrimmage in N. A. football is so much more dangerous that it, in itself, constitutes the need for extra protection against concussions and other similar injuries. Maybe, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Still, although the Aussie players look very athletic in their shorts and sleeveless shirts, I have to say that I prefer the N. A. uniforms for one very selfish reason; their little hinies look so cute in those tight little pants.

Rah Rah Team!

3 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...



The average career of an Australian football player is far less than an American football player. Padding really works =P

Anonymous said...

I prefer hockey. Actually that's all I can think of to say on this. Hockey rules, woooooo..

Library Mama said...

Hippo - you're always so practical. You take the fun right out of it! ;-)

Happy - I like hockey too, although you wouldn't consider me a die-hard fan. Did you watch the big game last night?

Visits