Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

I Get theTop Hat.....Or Else



Okay, I'm hoping someone can enlighten me on this.

Last night, the boys and I were playing a game of Monopoly while Main Man was watching the hockey game on tv. We were having fun, and I was using it as a "teachable moment". You know, counting money for the older ones, sorting colours for #3...


Then the hockey game finished. And Main Man came into the kitchen to "help".

You see, this has been a long-standing feud between the two of us since college. He plays cutthroat Monopoly. I don't. Especially when I'm playing against my children.

He convinced the boys - the older ones, anyway - that in order to have any fun in Monopoly, you have to be bankrupting others. They began to try to make deals with me. And when I wouldn't deal, because I wasn't convinced they were good deals, they started to whine. And of course Dad was right in there, "Oh Mom just doesn't play Monopoly the right way, boys."

Finally, I agreed to a deal. But as I handed over my property, I could feel my heart racing. I couldn't really think straight because I could hear my blood pumping in my brain. Suddenly, I found it hard to sit still. And, in order to focus on the decisions I needed to make, I needed the room to be quieter, much quieter.

Yes, my competitive button had been pushed. And it appeared to be fully operational.

Up to this point, the game had been purely recreational. In that split second of the deal, I joined the competitive league.

The sad thing is, the person I wanted to bankrupt wasn't even playing the game.

I was so angry with Main Man for "ruining" our game. In fact, it's the morning after, and I'm still pretty annoyed.

In the end, #1 won. And I was happy for him.

But normally, I am not a competitive person. I am a good sport.

There's just something about my Main Man. He can turn me into my evil twin in the blink of an eye. What's up with that?



PS: On another note - 12 years ago this very moment I was terrified first-time-giving-birth woman. Yes, today is #1's twelfth birthday.

Happy birthday, big guy! Love ya.

6 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...


Mentok has a point. The real world isn't respectful and forgiving. If you truely want to prepare your kids for the cruel world...you gotta teach them how they can crush their enemies.

Library Mama said...

I knew you would take his side, Hippo! :p

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to #1.
I'm not really competitive buy most of my friends are. I just let them win. Seems to keep them happy..

Anonymous said...

ps: buy was supposed to be but..

X said...

The next game for your boys: RISK

Library Mama said...

Happy - I don't usually let the kids win, but if they do, it doesn't usually bother me. Only when Main Man interferes. ;)

Daniel - We looked all over for RISK last Christmas, but all we could find was STAR WARS RISK. We should look again. Great suggestion. (BTW - I may let Main Man teach them that one. I think RISK might really push my competitive button.)

Visits