Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, May 01, 2006

And the Madness Begins

Soccer season has begun. #3 son had his first game tonight. Herdball. A bunch of 4 and 5 year olds all chasing the ball at the same time, like a swarm of locusts. The only two not chasing the ball are the goalkeepers at either end. They're busy performing gymnastics on the goal frame. #3 actually did quite well. He was super-excited, and he paid pretty close attention to the game. Contributing to his success, I'm sure, was the fact that it was too cold tonight to pick dandelions or catch ladybugs.

Tomorrow the older two boys have their first games. Because of the age differences among the boys, this year we will be juggling three different levels at three different fields. Each of them will have two games a week, making six games in four days. The only thing they will share this year is the colour of their uniforms. All three will have orange soccer Tshirts - a nightmare when I do laundry. Hopefully they'll remember which number they have. Otherwise, they're sure to get mixed up.

I have to admit - for all my complaining, soccer season is one of my guilty pleasures. I love the fact that I absolutely have to take that time off in the evening to be with my kids - no dishes, no laundry, no marking homework. I also love the time spent visiting with other parents from the community.

Also, something I must add - I so appreciate the coaches. I simply don't have the time to help out, but I am really thankful to those people who are willing to give their time to help the children of the community - to help my child. Any coaches out there - I salute you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi LM
on the multiple orange jersey problem - use a black permanent marker to put each kid's first initial on their respective jersey's tag.

-Information Goddess

Bathroom Hippo said...



I checked out a book at your library a few years ago. I returned it last night.

Have a splendid day.

P.S. I am not paying the fine.

Library Mama said...

IG - You are so smart! Thanks so much for the great idea.

Hippo - You're in luck. I'm a school librarian. As long as you return the book, there is no fine. :)

Busy Mom said...

I love soccer for much the same reasons, too!

Library Mama said...

Welcome, Busy Mom.

-L. Mama

Visits