Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mother's Day Recap

Hope everyone had a great Mother's Day. As predicted, I was a little melancholy, but Main Man did a bang-up job of trying to keep me happy.

His mom spent the day with us and stayed overnight. You know, the poor woman's heart is in the right place, but there's just something about her that sucks the life right out of me. I feel like I'm suffocating under a collapsed brick wall when she stays with us. She left early Monday morning to spend a few weeks with Main Man's sister. Whew!

I lucked out with Mother's Day gifts this year. I had hinted strongly (well, finally I just told everybody) that I wanted an MP3, and I got it. But I also got a super beach bag filled with a mountain of goodies: things to eat, things for my bath, things to read. And some HUGE thought had gone into the contents. You see, I've been really watching what I eat for the last few months (I've lost over 20 lbs. since Christmas.), and every edible treat in the bag was a treat that I could enjoy guilt-free. Main Man will be a happy man for quite a while. ;)

I love my MP3 player. I love being immersed in music. I'm swimming in my favourite tunes. I'm feeling pressure, though, wondering if my picks are cool enough. I have visions of #1 laughing at me behind my back. Then I tell myself, " Why should I care what he thinks? My MP3 is nicer than his!" Ha!!

We've discovered an interesting phenomenon regarding the boys and chores. Our dishwasher broke down Friday. Dishes are the boys' domain. It is their job to load and unload the dishwasher. Ergo, now that the dishwasher is kaput, it is their job to wash and dry. They used to fight like cats and dogs loading and unloading, but they converse and laugh while washing and drying. Go figure!

Must sign off for now. Can't concentrate with Blondie singing "One Way or Another" in my ear.

3 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...



I got my mom a death certificate.

That was a bit harsh.


I actually forgot to give her a gift and made up chore coupons at the last minute:

"I will wash 1 dish"

"Chance: These cards are now void."

"I will change the channel."


It's a hard life Mrs. Mentok. But thank God for mothers.

Library Mama said...

Well put, Hippo.

Thank God for mothers.

Mentok said...

"I feel like I'm suffocating under a collapsed brick wall when she stays with us..."

Wow, what a powerful observation.

I'd never thought of it that way before, but that's exactly the way I felt the first 18 years of my life living with her...

But we managed to give her a truly happy Mothers Day in spite of it all, so there must be a ton of good karma in that for both of us, eh?

Visits