Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

The World According to #3

Stop reading this post right now if you hate when people talk about funny things their kids say. I mean it. 'Cause I've saved up many of the hilarious things #3 has said this week, and I plan to share them with you now. Consider yourself warned.

I was reading a Batman picture book to him one night and his comment was, "Alfred really needs to find himself a girlfriend." I have to tell you that I've never really thought about Alfred's love life before, but #3 does have a point.

While watching King Kong last weekend, I commented to Main Man that I thought Naomi Watts was pretty, and he grunted in agreement. #3's comment: "Dad just thinks she's pretty because she's wearing her 'pyjamas'!" (He inserted Dr. Evil-style quotations around pyjamas for emphasis.)

Today when I told #1 that he was being contrary, my supportive little assistant said to his big brother, "Yeah, (#1)! Don't be contrary." Then he turned to me and whispered conspiratorially, "I don't even know what contrary means."

This last one is not so much funny as profound. I'm impressed that he's even thinking on this level. He asked me one day this week, "How does God look after all of the children all over the world all at the same time?" It reminded me of a plaque my grandmother had up on her wall, reading, "God couldn't be everywhere, so he made mothers."

There, I'm done with kid witticisms for a while now, so those of you who heeded my warning at the beginning of the post will be safe to join me again.

4 comments:

mkecurler said...

Yay! Another Canadian blogger who knows Mentok and Hippo! I'll stop by again!

Bathroom Hippo said...



The solution:

Kill #1.

Library Mama said...

Welcome, Sabatkes. Come visit anytime.

Hippo, if I kill #1, I won't have a babysitter. So that is not an option.

Mentok said...

This column needs to have a picture running with it. I'm not sure people will totally get how irrepresibly charming #3 aka "The Duck" is without seeing one of his crazy facial expressions.

Visits