Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Care for Some Whine?

Why does our society seem to love people who whine and snivel?

I mean, when people you know are down or depressed, do you spend an inordinate amount of time trying to lift them up? Does it make your back ache?

I'm not really very good around fragile people. I suppose that makes me a bad person. However, my rationale is this: if I'm feeling down, I don't burden others with it. Why should I have to spend my "up" time weighed down by the sandbags of other people's problems?

I'm not talking about a friend who occasionally has a bad day and needs to talk it through. I'm talking about people who constantly moan about how pitiable their life is - the people who seem to be addicted to comfort from others... "Oh, but you're so attractive. Oh, but you're so talented. Oh, but you have so much. How could you possibly feel sad?" ad nauseam.....

"Oh, but you're so good at fishing for compliments."

I'm not saying I don't go through blue times. Of course I do. I've simply been taught that you deal with it; you don't expect others to. When I'm down, I spend some time on my own for a while. While I'm doing that, first I plan how to cheer myself up short-term. Maybe I'll listen to some upbeat music. Maybe I'll watch a funny movie or TV show. Maybe I'll read a funny book or a friend's funny blog. Maybe I'll go out with some friends (and I don't talk about being sad!). Next, I plan how to deal with whatever is pressuring me. Then, I come out of my shell and I solve my problem.

I suppose my attitude may stem from my years teaching primary school. It's always better to deal with little "owies" with some ice or a band-aid, wipe the tears, then walk away. Linger too long and the children won't learn to deal with problems themselves.

Then again, maybe my approach comes from even further back - my up-bringing. My parents instilled a strong sense of self-responsibility into each of their children. We were all taught that , although we can't always control what comes our way, we have to take control over how we deal with it. We have to be in charge. As a result, none of us has trouble dealing with what life throws at us - and believe me - it has thrown a few curveballs our way.

Of course, there are people who need real help. These people aren't going to feel better because of friends patting them on the back or holding their hands. They need to see someone who has training in this particular field. But yet again - take control - get that help.

It's probably a good thing I'm raising boys and not girls. "Shake it off!" "Put some butta on it!" Those are sayings you'll hear around our house fairly often. Come to think of it, I can think of quite a few girls who would benefit from this philosophy, as well.

I'm not really a witch, although I know I sound like one. I guess I've just come to my limit with a few situations in my life. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not whining; I'm ranting. There's a huge difference. (Haha)

11 comments:

Mentok said...

Ha, ha, ha...thinking of anyone in particular, honey? ;-)

Yeah, I hear ya and I agree. My patience with, as you say, fragile people is stretching pretty thin.

...And my life training on this topic is pretty deep since, as you know, my mom is a fragile, whiny person.

Good point...well worth the rant. Aren't blogs great venues for getting rants out of one's system?

Mentok said...

One more point I thought of to answer your question "Why does our society seem to love people who whine and snivel?"

I dunno, but that's entertainment it seems.

Jerry Springer, etc. are still wildly popular shows, aren't they? It's just too bad there aren't more Dr. Phils around.

Big Pissy said...

Honey, you hit the nail on the head! I spent Sunday with one of my best friends who continues to stay in a relationship she knows is bad. I've been listening to the same complaints for 2 years.....

The only reason I haven't slapped her silly is b/c I care about her.

But it's getting harder not to slap her, believe me.....

Bathroom Hippo said...


Too many people (often women) feel sorry for themselves...

Good to finally know a woman who can shake it off. Wish you were my age, single, and Mentok was dead.

Or do I?! Muhaha.

Library Mama said...

MTMT - I'm not sure if Jerry Springer et al are still popular. I'm not saying they aren't; I just don't know.

And no, I didn't have anyone in mind - no - not at all. ;)

Pissy - Great to see you. Congrats on coming second over Hippo's way. You should have come first. I did my part; I voted for you twice!

And maybe - if you really care for your friend - maybe you should slap her silly. Could be the best thing you ever did for her. (I'm not really sure I mean that, but maybe that's the only way she'll get the message to get out of the relationship. Who knows?)

Hippo - I don't think it's fair to say it's mostly women; I've met a few whiny fly-off-the-handle easily offended men in my day as well. (Or do you have a short memory?)

Anyway, I'm one of the masters of "shaking it off." Probably comes from coping with growing up with two older brothers. I'm one tough babe! ;)

Thanks for the comments, everybody.

freethoughtguy said...

Why does our society seem to love people who whine and snivel?

Probably because it makes us feel that OUR problems are minor by comparison!

Library Mama said...

Excellent point, freethinker! That's the same reason I watch soap operas, when I have the time.

Welcome, by the way. Great to meet you.

Bathroom Hippo said...



Women make good soup.


I don't know where that came from... I just thought I'd assure everyone that I'm not gay..and Mentok likes Heath Ledger.

Library Mama said...

Hippo - even gay men can think that women make good soup. I'm afraid that isn't really an assurance.

Bathroom Hippo said...



HEATH LEDGER!

Big Pissy said...

Thanks for the votes!

and I'll let you know if I do finally slap her.... ;-)

Visits