Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Changes and Choices

My mother-in-law is staying with us for a few days. That isn't always something I look forward to, especially at a busy time, but we're happy to have her with us right now. We're trying to keep her busy, distracted, happy.

Today is the first anniversary of my father-in-law's passing away.

I have difficulty imagining what it must feel like to be with someone every day of your life for over forty years and then suddenly have them gone, kaput, removed from your existence. She's done remarkably well, really, but I expect she's shed her share of lonely tears. Probably more than her share.

She's had a few decisions to make, too, and I'm not sure whether she had a lot of experience in that arena as a married woman. She lives in a small town - alone now - and she has had to ruminate on the idea of moving. Should she move to our city to be closer to us? Should she move to her daughter's city to be closer to her? Or should she stay in her small town?

All three choices have their pros and cons. If she moves to our city, she's still relatively close to her friends in her small town, but she'll have to buy a place and make new friends. If she moves to her daughter's, she could move right into their house - they have a little suite in the basement. But she would end up doing a lot of childcare for her granddaughters, and the house has a lot of stairs which she finds cumbersome. Also, it's a long way from her friends in her small town. She's leaning toward staying where she is, where her friends, her support and her memories are.

I'm glad she didn't decide to make many changes in her life right away. She's taking her time, feeling things out.

It's been quite a year for her. She's done a bit of travelling. She's bought some new things for her house. She's bought a new vehicle. She's lost some weight. Really, she's come a long way, and I'm proud of her.

Because getting through the year could not have been easy.

3 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...



Mentok's dad?

I'm sorry. I lost my dad in 2001. I miss him everyday. It never gets easy, ever.

Was his name Mentos the Mind Taker?
Sorry. Very inappropriate.

Mentok said...

You keep surprising me with this serious side, Hippo!

My father was quite old when he passed away - in his '80s. He had always been very strong his whole life. He was lugging boat motors on his back through the woods well into his 70s. When his health failed, it did so rapidly, which was good. I wouldn't have wanted to see him waste away.

So, he lived a full life, as the saying goes. A WWII veteran, no less. Survived the Nazis torpedoing his boat. Tough old coot. I miss him, but I feel he made his exit at the right time.

Busy Mom said...

I only hope my Dad will do this well when the time comes.

Visits