Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day

The home where I grew up sits empty now. The farm where I learned many of life's lessons still has animals, and crops still grow in my father's fields, but the house is now uninhabited. All sorts and conditions of life endure on that land except that of human beings.

Uninhabited but not abandoned.

The contents of the house vary little from my school years. My mother's kitchen table, older than I am, still sits under the lace-covered picture window where I would sit every morning waiting for the school bus. The two recliner chairs where my parents would sit watching TV movies and Hockey Night in Canada still sit in the livingroom covered by afghans my mother crocheted. My old bed is still covered by the comforter I chose out of the Sears catalogue when I was in Grade Seven. Sometimes, the only difference I feel there is that things seem smaller than they were back then. Guess I'm just bigger.

The boys and I still stay in that house when we go home to visit. It's a bit of an adventure, really. The boys love discovering new old bits of my youth every time they look around: yearbooks, letters, photographs, old school assignments. I love the rediscovery.

I find it difficult at night, though, once the three of them are asleep and I'm alone with my memories. My mother's spirit whispers to me then. Even after six years, I still feel her there.

My parents were married for over 50 years when my mother passed away. Their last seven or eight years together were especially trying, as Mom coped with a debilitating stroke, breast cancer, and diabetes. They were amazing together. Through it all, they still managed to savour every drop of enjoyment in life. They had amazing friends, they cherished their grandchildren, and they managed a hot holiday almost every winter.

Every time I go home to the farm, I bring back a piece of my childhood. This last visit, I carefully wrapped every piece of my mother's Christmas china and placed it delicately in a box to make the long trip back here. Right now I have no place special enough to store it, so it will have to remain in that plain cardboard box until the holidays approach. Then I will carefully unwrap each piece, revealing the memories held by each and every poinsettia. Christmas will seem more complete this year. It will feel like there's an extra person at our table.

Mom never got to meet #3. Even sadder to me, she never even knew he was on the way. As the saying goes, he was just a twinkle in my eye when she died. She would have adored him: his spirit, his sense of fun, his ability to work a room.

She would have been so proud of #1 and #2 too: their academic and musical accomplishments, their wit and conversation, and their polite manners (when they remember them:).

Mother's Day has been a mixed blessing for me for six years now. Main Man and the boys do it up right; gifts, a beautiful brunch, a day of surprises, and a delicious supper. How could anyone complain?! But deep inside, through all the joy and celebration, I still feel a piece missing. And I suppose I will forevermore.

Hug your mom today, everyone.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom.

9 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...



I have a mom.
She is a nice mom.

Library Mama said...

I hope you gave her a hug today, Hippo.

Anonymous said...

LM. your post took my breath away.
- Information Goddess

Bathroom Hippo said...


You are hereby charged with and accountable for the death of Information Goddess.

The Mounties will be there shortly.

Now....for these pressing words:

"Lets all go to the lobby, lets all go to the lobby, lets all go to the lobby....Potamus bought us out!"

I stole Mothers Day.

Library Mama said...

Thank you, IG. And I hope you have your breath back. But it was nice of Hippo to be concerned, wasn't it? ;)

Hippo, give it back! Right now! Do I have to count to five? If I get to five, you will have to have a time out. One, two, three, four....

A. B. Chairiet said...

Hey Mrs. M,

Wonderful entry. I'm so sorry about your mother. So sorry she never met son number three.

I feel the same about my grandmother. She never had any great grandchildren before she died, and I was the youngest grandchild; the first to have a child. Baby Girl's due date was actually the one year anniversary of her death.

Tears me up inside.

Anyways.

Hope you had a great Mother's Day! Sounds like your boys treat you well. :)

And sorry for not coming around in a while. You know the whole story. Pain and such.

But I've been catching up this morning. Reading through your archives.

I'll be here from now on. :)

Have a great day! Again, wonderful entry. Very touching.

Happy Tuesday,
~ Ash

Library Mama said...

Welcome back, Ash.

Thanks for your kind words.

And I'm sorry about your grandma.

My grandma passed away when I was expecting #1. She would have loved that we have 3 boys. She always said she preferred the company of men over that of women.

Have a great day.

L. M.

Dino said...

awww that just got me in tears.
Sorry for your mom but happy that she left you with such happy memories.

Library Mama said...

Sorry to make you cry, Katy, but thanks so much for reading. And yes, happy memories indeed.

Visits