Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

An Evening Out

It's funny the kind of "dates" old married people go out on. Last night, we took care of practicalities and then we hung out with the cool kids.

First, we went dishwasher shopping. As much as I love the way the boys have been (fairly) cheerfully taking care of the dishes, it's time to act. I need a dishwasher. And we found a pretty good deal, actually. So soon, the boys can be back to fighting over loading and unloading the new machine.

Then, we thought we would check out an Irish pub place in town we've never been before. It turned out to be a much more interesting place than we thought. Although the underlying theme of the place was Irish pub, there was this aura of hepcat cool. It was a great place to people-watch; both the staff and the clientele were interesting. There were even celebrities in our midst, as actors from a well-known TV show they film in our city were hangin' out there.

Funny thing happened while we were leaving. By that time, the place was really crowded, and, as we left, Main Man and I became separated. An Ashton Kutcher-esque young man and I accidentally bumped into each other as I was making my way toward the door. We both said the obligatory, "Excuse me. I'm sorry," and made to continue walking. He stops, though, touches my arm purposefully, and gets this look in his eye as if he thinks I'm someone he knows. "Hey!" he says. "No," I reply with a smile, "I'm pretty sure you don't know me." After describing the situation to Main Man later, he figures the guy was hitting on me. I figure I looked like one of his mom's friends. :)

7 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...



He probably wanted to tell you he stole your wallet...

Library Mama said...

Maybe you're right, Hippo. He looked like an honest young man with money problems. :)

BarbaraMG said...

I just got a dishwasher about 2 months ago and I cannot begin to tell you how much it has helped. My kids (8 & 10) always helped with the dishes but I was still feeling I was spending a huge amount of time washing dishes. I finally saved enough after about 6 months and went and got one. Every single time I load it I feel so grateful! (I will recommend one of the one's that have the higher lower racks. It is worth the little bit extra.)

You have to tell us who the celebrities were! Come on! I have no life of my own.

You asked which book I am reading right now. At any given time I am usually reading about 8 books but right now I am putting aside my reading at night and reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimb to my kids. :)

Library Mama said...

Barbara - the celebrities were the actors who play the two police officers in Corner Gas.
I haven't read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh yet, but I know it's a classic, and I really should. Maybe this summer. Enjoy it with your kids. I try to read to my kids every night too. It's a really special time.

Thanks for visiting again.

L. Mama

Library Mama said...

Oops! Just realized I don't know where you're from, Barbara, and I don't know if you will have even heard of Corner Gas. It's a fairly successful Canadian comedy tv show. Our family loves to watch it. Our boys were pretty excited when they found out their old parents were in the same room as some of the actors. ;)

L. Mama

BarbaraMG said...

LM - I am a Canadian! (Yay Canada!) I live about as far west as one can go before hitting ocean again. I don't have cable but have heard that Corner Gas is hilarious! One day a lady I worked with was just telling me about an episode and I was laughing.

Mrs. Frisby is very good! I actaully stayed up last night until almost 2:00 reading it because I wanted to know how it ended.

Our next book will be From Anna. I found it today at a second hand book store. :)

I really appreciate your suggestions, especially about the salads. I but those salads all the time but never though about adding a protein to them. Part of my problem (and there are lots of them) is that I get hungry with just salads. Adding a protein is a super idea! Huge thank you for this idea!

Library Mama said...

Barbara - I hope you get a chance to see Corner Gas sometime. It really is funny.
From Anna is a lovely book. I remember reading it as a girl. Jean Little gave a reading once at a bookstore I worked in when I was in college. I love her books.
I know what you mean about feeling hungry after a salad. Hope the protein idea helps you. I find it really works for me.

Visits