Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Swingin' Saturday

It was a funny day weather-wise here yesterday. When you looked outside, the sky was a vibrant blue. We have an apple tree blossoming outside our kitchen window, and the combination of the vivid pink blossoms, the deep green leaves and the stainless sky was breathtaking. Once you stepped outside, though, it was much cooler than you would expect.

Not knowing how cool it was - and not thinking to check before heading out - I decided to take the kids to the park. All of them dressed in shorts, based on the evident temperature, and all of us froze.

Oh - I guess it wasn't that bad. The kids played pretty hard, so they kept warm. And I did something I haven't done in years.

I swang.

I hopped on a swing and I pumped my legs until my white tennis shoes touched the sun. The boys thought I was crazy. I felt crazy - crazy happy. It is impossible to feel blue when you are swinging. I'm not sure if it's the endorphins released by the physical activity, or the touch of the wind on your body as you fly through the air, but the feeling of complete freedom is difficult to duplicate.

And, on top of all that, I had my new MP3 on, so not only was I flying, I was flying in stereo.

You've got to try it!

3 comments:

BarbaraMG said...

I can relate! There is a park down the hill from me and I decided to hop on a swing last year. My butt didn't fit like it used to but it was such a rush. I was giggling and I felt WOW!!

Bathroom Hippo said...


Only thing better than flying with an Mp3 player is flying with a catheter.


Or so I'm told.

So says uh...Mentok!

Library Mama said...

Barbara - think of how much more fun it will be to try out that swing down the hill toward the end of the summer, when your butt fits better. :)

Hippo - I don't plan to try your idea, but I will ask Mentok for further details. ;)

Visits