Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Stuck in the Mud

I was on outdoor supervision yesterday at recess time. Basically, one day out of every six school days, we pull a shift wandering around the playground, making sure the kids don't do anything dangerous and being there when someone tattles on someone else.

My colleague and I (we work in teams of two) were commenting on how last time we were on supervision, about 10 days ago, the kids were tobogganing and building snow forts, while yesterday they were in rubber boots and shirtsleeves playing in puddles (despite repeatedly being told not to get wet). Anyway, spring has definitely sprung here.

One of the most interesting events of yesterday's "snoopervision" was that I had to physically remove a first grader from the mud. I was making the rounds, telling kids to get out of puddles, when this one little guy says to me, "I can't. I'm stuck!"

Sure enough, the little mucker was almost up to his knees in thick mud. As he tried to pull his feet out of the mud, the only progress he could make was to take his feet out of his firmly stuck boots.

Seeing as how I haven't been to the spa for a mud bath lately, I gladly (!) jumped in and helped the little guy tug his boots out of their holds. I have to say, though, that I made it so clear that he was never to go in the mud again, that I'm afraid he won't be too excited to come visit me in the school library anytime soon. Frankly, I think he might be a little terrified of me!

2 comments:

Mentok said...

First fishnets, now mud-wrestling. You are such a hottie!

Library Mama said...

I do my best, Mentok.

Visits