Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Back in the Land of the Living

Took a few days off - a few days away.

Took the boys to grandpa's farm for a spring getaway. They had a blast. I had a rest. Hubby Dearest had a little time to himself. Everyone's happy.

The boys spent a lot of their time "renovating" my old playhouse. You could hardly call it a playhouse even when I was their age. It was actually the old porch from a deserted farmhouse on some land my dad bought. I don't know why my dad had it hauled onto our farm, but he did, and I inherited it as a playhouse. The boys used old lumber from a nearby delapidated granary and remodelled it. They even painted a sign above the door - "Bed and Breakfast". What fun!

I had some much needed time to vegetate. Man, I was in complete Brussels sprout mode! I watched daytime TV (and they only get three channels there), I did crossword puzzles, and I took advantage of the opportunity to relive my childhood among the springy new-ness of the farm, especially the baby calves. One thing I didn't do, surprisingly enough, was read. I finished two excellent books right before I left for the farm (watch for reviews soon), and didn't have enough time to get another page-turner before the trip, so I was stranded for four whole days.

Hubby had a few days to himself as he went through (what I'm told is) the intense withdrawal effects of quitting smoking. He specifically chose a time when the boys and I would not be around. Not sure if his intention was to spare us the agony of being around him during this time, or to spare himself the agony of being around us during this time ( and, yes, there is a definite difference). He went out with friends a few times when we were away, and he had the support of his own little blog community, so he has managed to cope reasonably well. I'm pretty proud of him. I wonder if he's as proud of me, coping with the withdrawal of not having anything decent to read for four days.

Anyway, the whole family seems to be a little more cohesive after our little time away. I guess absence really can make the heart grow fonder.

4 comments:

A. B. Chairiet said...

Hi there, and I feel kind of silly just now saying hi, but I'd like to say hi nonetheless. :)

Silly, because I can’t say Hi, nice to meet you. You've read letters from me before, and who knows what else.

But really, the funny thing is, I didn't know you were you until now!

Did that make sense?? Teacher and all, better watch my grammar. ;)

No, see, I've been meaning to come by. I saw the comment you left on my photoblog, asking if Baby Girl had a haircut, I think. I never responded to it, and I'm such a procrastinator when it comes to checking new blogs. So anyways, I've had you on my To-Check-List. And while ago, while reading your husband's blog, I thought, Huh. That comment seems kinda flirty. Who's this woman flirting with a married man?? Ha! And as it turns out...It's his wife! :)

Funny stuff. I thought I was playing detective here, keeping the charlatans away from my friend. SO that's good and I'm glad I came by. Now I can bother you both. ;)

Happy Sunday,
~ Ash

Library Mama said...

Hi Ash,

I know what you mean. It seems strange to become officially acquainted after appearing in each other’s backgrounds for so long.

Actually, I’m not sure whether to thank you or curse you, as you are a major part of the reason for my blog. I started it because of the myriad hours my loving husband spent in front of the computer screen. There are times now, though, when The Books Nook seems like just another commitment, of which I already had too many.

Anyway, thanks so much for visiting. I was starting to get discouraged last week, but after my little rest, I’m feeling a little more revved now.

Come back soon,

Library Mama

A. B. Chairiet said...

"I’m not sure whether to thank you or curse you"

Ha. I think that's the general consensus concerning my existence.

Thank her or curse her? Hell, I don't know either. I mostly curse myself. ;)

As for the husband and the hours: That's understandable. Now you guys can talk about it, share it, etc. All that happy married people stuff. :)

As for it being a commitment: Definitely. I don't know how I manage working it into my mommy routine and work and home...and the more time the other aspects demand of me, the less I give to my blog, but I guess that's how it goes.

Oh, and don't get discouraged. You've got a nice blog here! You're interesting. You write well. No reason not to blog, really. :)

Happy Monday,
~ Ash

Mentok said...

What the....?

You two are talking?

Oh, that's just great. Now you'll be conspiring against me. ;-)

This is freaking me out!

Visits