Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

the birth house

I read the birth house by Ami McKay last week. It is the story of Dora Rare, a seventeen-year-old girl who becomes apprentice to a midwife in Scots Bay, Nova Scotia, during World War I.

the birth house is a story of women: excited, anxious women who are apprehensive about giving birth, purposeful women who long to have babies, and despairing women who are carrying babies they don't want. Dora and her mentor, Miss Babineau, help any woman who seeks their aid, and they are literal lifesavers in their tiny remote community.

The book explores the evolution of the attitude toward the birth process. The doctor in charge of the new maternity hospital located down the mountain brags of technological advances allowing women to peacefully sleep through the birth and awaken with a healthy pink baby in her arms. Surprisingly, it is the men of Scots Bay who seem convinced that this is the ideal, and Dora and Miss Babineau encounter difficulties continuing to help the women of the community, many of whom still want their assistance despite their husbands' interference.

I found parallels between this book and the media-pervasive "TomKat" birth situation. Would he let her have an epidural? Would she be able to make noise if she felt compelled? As the birth house asked, "Just who is in charge here, anyhow?!"

I recommend the birth house, especially if you are interested in historical fiction. It is a peaceful, life-affirming book that gently persuades women to take charge of themselves and their lives.

1 comment:

Booklogged said...

Hi, library mama! Thanks for your visit to my blog. I appreciated your comments. Loved your review of The Birth House. I'm going to have to request it on interlibrary loan since my library does not have it. Thank heaven for ILL.

Visits