Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Brokeback Mountain


You would have to have lived under a rock over the past few months to be unaware of the subject matter of Brokeback Mountain. I just finished reading the novella by Annie Proulx, and it really is quite a beautiful story of forbidden love.

What I found completely uncanny, though, was how incredibly close to the details of the novella Ang Lee kept when he directed the award-winning movie. Right down to the dialogue. Probably the only deviation from the book that I noticed was that, when Ennis visits Jack's parents toward the end of the story, Jack's mother is described as heavy-set, and in the movie, she is rather petite.

It probably took me about the same time to read the novella as it did to watch the movie, too.

Not sure if I would recommend the book or not. I loved Annie Proulx's The Shipping News. I can't really say that I loved this story, but I think it is an important one to experience. Whether you decide to read the book or see the movie doesn't really matter because they are so similar.

2 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...



Brokeback Mountain may seem like a "forbidden love story" which may attract some viewers/readers...but I'll stick to my naive narrow conservative religious values.

Library Mama said...

Hello there,

Thanks for the comment.

And to be honest, I'm not quite sure how I feel about how the whole thing was portrayed. That's why I didn't go into great detail in my review. The only reason I checked the book out of the library was to see how similar it was to the portrayal in the movie.

Hope to hear from you again.

L. Mama

Visits