Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Sabre Sunday

Palm Sunday today. Seems like the longest service of the year.

This year, the children of the Sunday School joined the Senior Choir in a beautiful anthem. They even got an ovation - not a common occurrence with our congregation. The kids looked so angelic in their choir gowns - all three of our boys were in long black cassocks and white surplices. Of course, without their surplices, they were pretending to be Neo from The Matrix. Sometimes, I think these boys know just a little too much about movies - even ones they haven't seen.

The whole thing reminded me of a Palm Sunday years ago when the two older boys were about six and four. I had prepped them as well as I could beforehand, telling them that they would be receiving crosses made out of a piece of palm frond, and that these crosses would slightly resemble swords. Under no circumstances were they to use them to sword fight in church - no circumstances (repeat, repeat, repeat). You parents know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, sure enough, within ten minutes of receiving said crosses, I was removing them from the hands of D'Artagnan and Zorro, declaring through clenched teeth, "What did I say about sword fighting in church?"

"They aren't swords," was the reply. "They're light sabres."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Libby said...

thanks for your comment over on my site. I had to comment when I saw this post--it sounded so familiar! Sigh.

Mentok said...

I wonder what they call left-over gowns from military chaplins.

Army Surplus Surplice?

Library Mama said...

Thanks, Libby. Come visit anytime.

You should check out an army surplus store, Mentok. See what they'd say if you asked for that. Let me know ;)

Visits