Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Glossophobia

I heard somewhere that more people fear speaking in public than fear death. I can believe it.

Today is the oratorical assembly at school. I bet there are some students who didn't sleep very well last night.

At least we ease them into it a bit at a time. Kindergarten to Grade 2 students perform a choral speaking poem; there's safety in numbers. In the Grade 3, 4, and 5 classrooms, there is a class "poem-off". Then two students from each class are chosen to recite their poems at the school-wide assembly today. Then, in the Grade 6, 7, and 8 classrooms, the students write their own speeches, practice (and practice and practice) them, and perform them in front of their classmates. Again, two students from each class are chosen to go on to today's big assembly.

I teach a split Grade 5/6 classroom, so I found this year's "play-offs" to be quite interesting. This is the third year that the Grade 5 students have been preparing and reciting poems. They knew what they were doing and what was expected of them, and this improved their confidence.

The Grade 6's, on the other hand, were writing a speech for the first time. They still did really well, but it was interesting to see their hesitation as they worked their way through this new experience.

It was a neat twist to see the Grade 5's dive in to something with an air of confidence, while the Grade 6's slowly took their time getting used to the water.

By the way, after you read this, will you please take a second to send some good vibes to all the students getting up to speak in front of their whole school today? I'm sure there will be some knocking knees and perspiry palms.

No comments:

Visits