Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Whistle While You Work (Just Be Careful Not to Suck in)

The basement archeological dig continues.

We are finding things we had forgotten we owned - and definitely don't need. Clothes we wore in college, textbooks we used in college, videos we watched in college (Good thing Main Man was the first one to find that box and not #1, #2, or #3!).

We've found some good things too, though. We found $46 worth of rolled coins. We found our first dog's "baby book", where I had chronicled the first two years of her life (before we had human children, obviously). We found Main Man's stash of ugly ties and old Hawaiian shirts, with which the older boys squealed with delight.

Probably the most valuable items stored in our cellar both in terms of financial value and sentimental value are Main Man's comics. He has been a collector since he was seven or eight years old. The older boys have been given the task of going through the multitude of boxes and cataloguing the titles and numbers on a spreadsheet. I'm not sure they've ever been given a more enjoyable chore.

6 comments:

Lowa said...

Wow, how cool!

Man, that was SO FUNNY about Main Man fining the box of videos before the boys did:) TEEHEE

Do you plan to keep the comics or make a fortune off of them??

Library Mama said...

Lowa - Probably a little bit of both. As much as he loves them, he realizes that packed in a box in our dungeon of a basement is probably not the best place for them.

Big Pissy said...

How fun!

Sounds like a treasure chest down there! ;-)

Library Mama said...

Oh, it is, Pissy.

But I'm a little embarassed at the extent of our packrat-ism.

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

And so the making of memories and legacies, LM. :-)

Library Mama said...

I think you're right, Susan.

Although I don't feel as if we've had
such an interesting week, I think the boys may have some fond memories, after all.

Visits