Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Welcome to the Weakend

I've had the past week off.

I've been savouring a little slice of heaven, forkful by scrumptious forkful.

I had had big plans, but the snow early in the week ki-boshed many of those. And that's okay.

On a lazy week off, I will not apologise for catching the odd Oprah show or for finishing two books or for watching a mindless video with my boys.

We have done jobs we never could have done without a huge solid block of time off. Of course, we tackled the basement - and we are still surrounded by comic books yet to catalog. Perhaps today.

I've discovered, though, that I hate the weekend at the end of a holiday. Is it still holiday? Or is it just a regular weekend? I mean - I would be doing this exact same thing had I not had last week off.

And I still have schoolwork to address, just like a regular weekend. (I know what you clever, organized people out there are thinking - why didn't she do her marking through the week so she could enjoy her last days off? Well, pshaw to you if that's what you're thinking!)

So, I suppose what I'm trying to say is that my holiday is over. This is just a regular ol' hectic weekend in our household.

And I suppose that will have to do.

9 comments:

Lowa said...

I hear ya! I dunno HOW you working mothers do it all. You truly amaze me:) I can imagine what you mean, though, with how this weekend feels just like a regular one. Back to the old grind soon, eh??

Cryptic is talking of not going back to public school once spring break is over in two days. We pulled Jock out (he took it quite well and is pleased to now have more time to focus on his magic tricks) and Princess is also begging to be home schooled again. Clown is in heaven at the idea of his siblings being back home, so who knows how "normal" things will be around HERE soon.

I can't wait to hear what comes of those comics. We are de-cluttering and found a pair of pants I used to wear. WOW! Disgustingly small. Then I found a skirt my MIL bought me...size 2 petite. WAH!! What happened!??! I am determined to slip into those again effortlessly!

Library Mama said...

Lowa - We catalogued 1500 comic titles this afternoon. What fun! (Can you sense the sarcasm in those last two words?)

We're almost half done.

Unknown said...

Sarcasm??? From Library Mama??? Surely not.

I could hear the sigh as you typed 'almost half done' all the way over here in Scotland (give that man of yours a geography lesson)

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi LM, You must catch the odd Oprah show - perhaps one with a scandalous theme, read 2 books if not 3 and watch 1 mindless video if not 2. These things could feel as luxurious as a spa or a palm beach.
So you must and you must. :-)

Library Mama said...

JC - Oh yes, that ugly monster sarcasm quietly seeps in and takes over my mindset every once in a while.

Where did my darling husband make the mistake about Glasgow?

Because - to paraphrase Monty Python - "This is England. This is Scotland. They'rrrrrre differrrrent!"

Susan - Well last week, I musted! ;-)

Mentok said...

That line, paraphrased or not, is not Monty Python but comes from Mike Myers' SNL routine about the "All Things Scottish" shop.

Library Mama said...

Oops!

Well, at least I knew that Glasgow wasn't in England.

:-P

Dino said...

I hate holiday weekends because I always have to work.

Library Mama said...

Katy, I guess that's your way of telling me to quit complaining, eh?

;-)

Visits