Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, April 16, 2007

"Enchanted April"


I borrowed the video Enchanted April from the library this weekend.

Based on a book written in 1922 by Elizabeth von Arnim, it is the story of four women of diverse backgrounds who decide to rent a small Italian castle for the month of April. Together, they spend most of that month attempting to escape their disparate and desparate lives back home in dreary London.

The four women are played by Josie Lawrence, Miranda Richardson, Joan Plowright, and Polly Walker. Each does a brilliant job of giving her character just the right qualities. I especially love the character of Mrs. Wilkins, played by Josie Lawrence. At first she seems slightly batty, but once in Italy, where everyone's mind seems to open to new ideas, she seems acutely insightful.

I won't reveal any more of the story, as you truly must watch it unwind itself in order to enjoy it fully. It is completely family-appropriate, but may be a little bit slow for younger viewers.

And listen carefully to the dialogue. Often the humour is very subtle.

This is one of the best feel-good movies I've watched in a long time.

By the way, if you're thinking of watching it, try to watch it in April.

4 comments:

Dino said...

mhh interesting. I may have to add that to my list

I saw 8 below yesterday and it was a good movie but I did need my tissues throughout it.

Library Mama said...

Katy - I haven't seen that one, but I've heard good things about it.

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi LM,
Sounds heartwarming and romantic. And a little wistful & delightful all at once. The picture speaks a 1000 words too. :-)

Library Mama said...

Susan - You're absolutely right. All of the above.

Visits