Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, January 01, 2007

Fondue, Frolicking, Fatigue and Feeling Forlorn

So...I'm curious to learn how everyone spent their New Year's Eve.

We had a quiet evening (well, as quiet as it gets around here, anyway) at home with the boys.

We revived an old tradition we used to have PK (pre-kids), and we spent the evening enjoying fondue. We had fondue chinoise, and it was a delightful evening as we gathered around the diningroom table, waxing nostalgic over the year that was.

Fondue takes a long time, and I was ready for a quick nap once we were done, so I took a little rest before we got the dessert fondue ready to go. We dipped pieces of angel food cake and marshmallows in addition to fruit.

I had eaten so much in the first fondue that I felt like a Weeble (Remember - Weebles wobble but they don't fall down?), so I found the chocolate fondue unbearably rich. I so wanted to enjoy it, as the toll of midnight would be signalling the beginning of yet another diet season for me, but I just couldn't. It was just too much.

We tried to smush a game of Cranium into the evening, but we sort of lost the boys once the MTV New Year's countdown began, so we gave up on that after just seven or eight turns.

I don't know whether it was all the food or the bottle of bubbly we splurged on or just the overwhelming idea of a new year beginning, but it was almost impossible to keep my eyes open until midnight. We did the funny hat/noisemaker thing with the boys at midnight, and I left the dirty dishes in the sink and hit the sack.

I suppose the ideal would be to wake up January 1 with a spotless kitchen, but c'est la vie...

Anyway, I went to sleep with #3 and the dog keeping me company in my bed and with Main Man on the computer emailing two of his blog friends (both of whom just happen to be 25 year old females) into the wee hours of 2007.

Symbolic of what the new year will bring for me? Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

9 comments:

mkecurler said...

Happy 007 to the classiest chick in Canada!

curling rocks!

Library Mama said...

Ahhhh, thanks, Sabatkes. Same right back to you - except for you it's America.

All the best.

Dino said...

happy new years. since you already commented on my new years post you know how I spent mine. The dessert foundue sounds yummy

Library Mama said...

I hope you had a great time, Katy.

Thanks for the New Year's wishes.

Lowa said...

That IS a really great idea, doing fondue. I hear you about the eating better, etc. We ordered from our fave Thai place last night and I ate all the chocolate I could handle. This morning I had oatmeal (saved some for later this week so I don't have to cook it new every morning), lunch was tuna on ritz and cottage cheese and supper wasn't good for me. But at least I didn't have any junk, right?? LOL

Twenty Five year old females??? Hmmm...why is he doing that?? I won't get into anything...but...yikes. Me no likey. Anyway...moving on...

Cranium, eh?? Never played it. Sounds fun! We got some cool new games for Christmas (what am I saying?? Jock and Cryptic did) and we have enjoyed them.

Well, this is a post in itself. Now I am off to gather the wee ones from their bath, tuck them in, print out and/or gather Clown's school work for this next week and then I think I will hit the hay before I am tempted to eat anything sweet!

When do YOU start back to school?? Clown has been asking for some new work, so I want to get things prepared for him since his sibs start back demain. They are none too happy either. Cryptic speaks of quitting and being homeschooled again. Much as I want him home, we won't let him quit!! We told him he needs to stick it out for the entire year.

Ok, honestly. I will shut up now!

Library Mama said...

Lowa - I still have all my Weight Watchers literature from last year, so today I used it to help me calculate points. I did really well. Breakfast was cereal with low-fat milk and half a banana. Supper was vegetable lasagna and salad. The best, though, was lunch - a huge salad with a cup of shrimp and no-fat dressing. The whole lunch was only 2 points total.

I'm not that worried about the 25-year-olds. To be honest, one of them seems really nice (I don't know much about the other one.). I was just a little peeved to start the year off that way.

I don't start back until next Monday. Neither do our boys. I'm looking forward to a nice week with them.

Take care - and Happy New Year!

Lowa said...

Good for you! I ate well today also. How did you do???Splurged and had some sugar free orange jello and a dribble of hummas and pita chips. Not together, mind you, they were my two snacks.

Been meaning to tell you, I read all the Guardians of Ga'Hoole books because Cryptic wanted me to. I really enjoyed them! Think you may have time sometime??

Well, the 25 year olds wouldn't bother ME that much a year ago. However, I am sure you recall what I went through this summer...since then I am very paranoid and just...I wish he had clearer boundaries. Married people need to know where the line is, you know?? Men don't seem to, often times. *sigh*

WOW! How nice to have more time with them. But I think your kids got out later than our's.

Nighty night!

Library Mama said...

Lowa - Yep - I had another good day. Almost a repeat of yesterday, except I had crab instead of shrimp on my lunch salad. And I went out to a movie with a couple of friends tonight. No popcorn, but a glass of wine afterwards.

I'll have to try the Ga'Hoole series. Tell Cryptic he should try the "Among the Hidden" series by Haddix. I read the first one just before Christmas and found it quite entertaining.

I know what you mean about those boundaries. What's up with men anyway?

Both my kids and I had school up to the end of Dec. 23. When did your kids get off school?

Sleep well.

Anonymous said...

Fondue and its big brother, the raclette dish, are such great ways to "eat better" and celebrate food and enjoy each other's company that we had both. Raclette on Christmas and fondue on NYE.

BTW, kids love raclette! Have you tried it yet?

Visits