Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

"Espresso Tales"

It seems forever and a day since I did a book review. I am still reading, but more slowly, I suppose, since work seems to encroach upon every "spare" minute of life. I suppose that's why this entry happens to be during my holiday...

Anyway, on to the fun...

Alexander McCall Smith's Espresso Tales is a quirky little read.

It, like its predecessor 44 Scotland Street, originated as a serial in the Scotsman newspaper. What a lovely tradition to bring back! I wish our newspapers would begin having serial fiction among its pages. How Dickensian! As a result of its origin, though, Espresso Tales has compact, concise little chapters that are easily digested and always leave you wanting more.

The stories centre around the residents of 44 Scotland Street in Edinburgh. My favourite is Bertie, a six year old prodigy whose mother pushes him above and beyond and whose father lost his backbone years ago. Read Espresso Tales, however, and you may just see a few inches begin to grow back.

Bruce, another resident of the townhouse, is unrepentantly narcissistic. His flatmate Pat is a quiet young woman who tolerates Bruce simply because she loves 44 Scotland Street. Domenica is an older woman who is vibrant and unrestrained. She and Pat become fast friends, although there are times when Pat is vexed by Domenica's forthrightness.

I found myself becoming intertwined in the stories McCall Smith wove. I wanted to hug Bertie and let him know that it's alright to enjoy being a little boy and that his mother is full of fluff. I wanted to give Bruce a piece of my mind and let him know that he is not as "all that" as he thinks he is. Then I have the ironic advantage of reading of someone else doing that very thing, however, and I realize that it has no effect whatsoever. I find myself sad at the conclusion of the book - sad to have to say good-bye to my friends at 44 Scotland Street.

I suppose that is the sign of a truly good read, isn't it?

12 comments:

Dino said...

I read a lot and I am a fast reader which is why I like series this way I do not have to say good bye to characters that I came to know and like

Library Mama said...

Katy - I wish I had more time to read. I love it! At least my work surrounds me with books. That's a consolation.

What are some of your favourite series?

Mentok said...

"full of fluff" ? That is just way too Ned Flandersian. Couldn't you at least have said "full of crap" or maybe some harsher language like "slop bucket"? ;-)

Lowa said...

alright, I am going to put this on hold at the library RIGHT NOW. YOu have convinced me!

Library Mama said...

Lowa - you may want to start with 44 Scotland Street, as it is the prequel. I enjoyed Espresso Tales better, but parts of it may not be as clear if you haven't read the first book.

Library Mama said...

Oops, sorry Mentok - I missed you. You see, I would say "full of fluff" because I would be speaking to a six-year-old. I don't like #3 saying "full of crap", so I wouldn't use that language with Bertie. Understand?

;-)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a good book..I like stories about life. Not mine. But other peoples..

Library Mama said...

Don't be modest, Happy. I bet your life would make a great book.

Lowa said...

gotcha! And I agree with LM about your life, Happy. Your stories about life always entertain me! If only I could find yer dern blog again! LOL I have misplaced it...*sigh* Need to devote more time to it soon.

Good point on the "fluff" instead of "crap". Mentok is so goofy!

Library Mama said...

Lowa - I have a link to Happy on my sidebar - oh, and on my next entry too. No more excuses! :-p

haha

Lowa said...

Thanks! Stud and just finished watching a movie and I thought I would check e-mail before going to bed. Then I thought I was would see what you were up to and saw your Thankful Thursday Post. Never thought of looking on the side bar! DUH! I never pay attention to details at all, guess I should start! Popped in to read his HYSTERICAL post, so now you are right. NO more excuses, just time for bed!

Thanks again! Will comment on your Thankful post tomorrow!

Library Mama said...

Glad to help, Lowa!

Visits