Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

"The Holiday"

Last night a couple of girlfriends and I went to see the movie The Holiday.

I was in the mood for some fluffy holiday romance, and I definitely got it.

I was delighted to encounter a few surprises as well, though. I'll try not to reveal too many spoilers.

In England, Iris (played by Kate Winslet) has been treated very shabbily by a former beau. She desperately needs to escape from her life for a brief stint.

Coincidentally, in Los Angeles, Amanda (played by Cameron Diaz) has just kicked her cheating boyfriend out of her massive L.A. home. She also feels the need to get away.

The two decide to swap homes for two weeks.

Although neither is even remotely interested in romance, of course it finds them in the forms of Jack Black (for Iris in L.A.) and Jude Law (for Amanda in England).

I must mention the character of Arthur Abbott, played by Eli Wallach. Arthur is a retired Hollywood screenwriter who is an L.A. neighbour of Iris, and who becomes one of her best friends. The relationship between the two of them is a charming surprise, and it adds depth and dimension to a movie that could easily be otherwise flat.

Another delightful surprise is an interesting twist to Jude Law's character. I'll say no more about this, as I don't want to spoil the surprise for those of you who haven't yet seen the movie. If you have seen it, though, you know of which I write.

One last captivating curveball was the acting of Jack Black. My boys love Jack Black because of his appearances in shows like The School of Rock, Nacho Libre, and King Kong. Me - not so much. In this movie, however, he is amusing and adorable.

Just about the only thing I didn't like about this film I hesitate to mention, because it makes me sound petty. I found much of the relationship between Cameron Diaz and Jude Law difficult to take. The two of them are simply too attractive to be real. It's as if the film was air-brushed to achieve perfection, especially in those scenes where there is lengthy wide-eyed emoting back and forth. I mean - honestly - how can "ordinary" people possibly relate?

This is definitely a "chick flic" that regularly travels over into the "date movie" sector. I think guys would get a kick out of Jack Black's character and - to a certain extent - Jude Law's character, as well.

Well worth seeing.

6 comments:

Lowa said...

I know, I saw it right before Christmas. A single friend of mine had seen it and RAVED. She wanted to see it again RIGHT AWAY, so I went with her.

I really enjoyed it. Cameron Diaz is so cute and DITZY!! LOL I loved all the characters! I loved the Older gent also, I agree with that you said about how much that relationship added to the movie.

I LOVE Jack Black. Not sure why. He was awesome in this, especially it the video store, huh?? I am cracking up just thinking of that again! teehee

Remember the tent?? I will say no more. All I know is, I want to make something like that for Princess. ANy idea how?? I mean what would connect all the fabric to the ceiling?? It was so magical, I know she would LOVE something like that!

One last note. I loved Jude Law in "Cold Mountain". Then I heard about the cheating pr*ck (sorry, I have no patience for that BS) and was so annoyed and didn't like him anymore. I like him again in this! LOL I mean, I know he is likely nothing like his character in this movie, but he was so sweet and cute in this one, eh??

Library Mama said...

I know exactly what you mean about Jude Law. I couldn't take him seriously at all in this movie, knowing about his real life behaviour.

Then, the "twist" happens in the movie, and, despite myself, I begin to like him.

I can be pretty fickle, I guess.

:-D

Molecular Turtle said...

I think I might go to see it now. The previews didn't make it seem as appeal as your discription did. Thank you.

Library Mama said...

Well, hi there, Turtle! (May I call you that?) It's very nice to meet you.

Do give The Holiday a try. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.

I always feel so much pressure when I recommend a movie. What if other people don't have the same thoughts about it that I do? I could never be a real reviewer!

Thanks for visiting. Come again soon.

Anonymous said...

I don't like Cameron Diaz's looks. So I wouldn't like the movie. Unless it had a shootout and a car chase scene. That didn't involve Cameron..

Library Mama said...

There is no shootout, Happy, or car chase scene. Sorry. It may not be the movie for you. :-(

Visits