Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Streams of Consciousness


So...far...behind...

Been trying to get around to visit all of the kind people who have visited my way before I post again. Futile. Must get new post up, or people will think I've given up on the Nook.

Booktalk. Huge distributor treats roomful of teacher-librarians to lunch. Then inundates them with talk of newly published children's books. Woman drones on and on. Is it possible to be intensely boring? How much of a challenge is it to excite teacher-librarians with talk of books? Apparently too much of a challenge. Lunch was good.

Also good that booktalk finished early. (Good for several reasons.) Am in the kitchen waiting with snacks when the boys return from school. Feel like a stay-at-home mom. Nice feeling. Warm and fuzzy. Coincidentally, Oprah's show that day is working moms versus stay-at-home moms. Shouldn't have watched.

In middle of busy week, get email from principal that I am one of the lucky ones who is on the cycle to be observed and evaluated this year. I see the point, but I'm still not happy.

Furnace cuts out in middle of the night. No rhyme or reason. Luckily starts up on its own in the afternoon. What gives? When will it happen again? Hard to be thankful on Thursday.

#2's birthday party. Heaps of Harry Potter. Men's XL black t-shirts cut up the middle for Hogwarts robes. Sorting hat complete with hidden walkie-talkie so #1 can provide voice effects. Make-your-own chocolate frogs. Potions: coloured vinegar and baking soda, Kool-Aid and club soda. #1 acting as a Dementor. One guest so scared he's in tears. Quidditch complete with pool noodle brooms and a golden snitch as big as your head. All go home with a goblet, two "test tubes" (that look mysteriously like bud vases), and their chocolate frogs. Exhaustion! Main Man has outdone himself yet again in the party department.

Yesterday marked half-time for the school year. Where has the time gone?

6 comments:

Lowa said...

Great to hear from you again!!

WOW, you HAVE been busy, eh??

Oooo...furnace messing around like that is NOT good, especially at this point in time. That must have been a tad worrisome!

I can only imagine how you felt about the stay at home mom thing. I am very fortunate and blessed! We did without for years, once I quit working. Was very hard to adjust to one income, but it is SO AWESOME:) Don't feel bad, we all do our best:)

Party sounds really cool, except for the kid crying:( OOOPPSSS!!!

Hope to hear from you again soon!!!

Bathroom Hippo said...



I told Mentok you guys might wanna rethink the whole Potter role-model thing after reading this!

Hope all is well in Little Canada Country...

Library Mama said...

Lowa - Yeah, the furnace thing is a bit scary. And I'm okay about the stay-at-home thing. Staying at home has never been an option for me, as I chose to marry someone in a not-so-stable field of employment. Ergo, I am the steady income earner. The party was pretty cool, but I'm glad it's over.

Hippo - I'm not sure we use Harry Potter as a role model exactly, but this article is very interesting. And yes, all is pretty much well here in the Great White North.

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Lovely post as always, LM.
It's a joy to visit you.x
Love it when you tell us how your day has been as it's always people-d about in that vibrant lively way.
With that real mummy feeling when the boys dashed in to the kitchen, did you ask them if they had washed up first thing? :-)

Library Mama said...

Susan - Thank you. You always have such nice things to say. And yes, with boys you always have to ask them if they washed up!

Dino said...

wow the party sounded awsome. I don't remember having that much fun at birthday parties as a kid. Hope the furnace stay working

Visits