Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Growing Up


#1 is definitely growing up.

He is now at least two inches taller than I am.

This afternoon we were at the church for an inter-generational Palm Saturday event. The event finished with a closing prayer in which we all stood in a circle holding hands. #1 just happened to be standing beside this girl who is just a little older than he is and is very pretty (but is absolutely and completely aware of it, if you know what I mean.).

I was giving him the gears about it on the way home. I said,"I noticed you happened to be standing beside someone interesting when we all got to hold hands at the end."

With eyebrows going up and down and a huge silver bracey smile he replied, "I know!"

Main Man was also giving him a hard time over it at supper. His advice was, "Be careful. You don't want to be just the flavour of the week."

#1's reply? "Oh, but what a week that would be!"

9 comments:

mist1 said...

That's funny.

Big Pissy said...

Sounds like he has a good sense of humor. ;-)

Library Mama said...

Mist - He's a funny kid. Funny, that is, in a humorous way, not a strange way.

Pissy - He does. He's a great kid. Guess I'm a bit biased, though.

Molecular Turtle said...

Sounds like a really funny kid. Hopefully he does'nt get his heart broken, girls are mean! ;)

Library Mama said...

Turtle - I know. It worries me a lot. He's such a great kid and he wears his heart on his sleeve. I'm sure he's in for a few broken hearts over the next few years.

Dino said...

aww that cute - "What a week that would be!" lets hope he doesn't get his heart broken at the end of it.

Mentok said...

You missed one of the other funny bits of this episode.

First, "pretty" is not how the young men view this girl. You'll recall when we asked at the brunch table why #1 was interested in her, 6-yr-old #3 piped up "Because she's HOT!" ;-)

Although totally factual, the whole "holding hands in church" business doesn't give the right impression of the young woman, who always looks like she would feel comfortable wearing a Halloween female devil costume.

So, yes, #1 will get his heart broken indeed.

Library Mama said...

Katy - I know. But, as Mentok points out, I expect there will be a broken heart or two down the road, maybe not even by this particular girl, but at some point.

Mentok - Yes, yes, all true.

Lowa said...

I have already warned my boys about girls breaking hearts, using them, etc etc. I will keep on reminding them. I was not one of those girls and can't relate or give them words of wisdom in the way of what those girls are thinking or anything, because I honestly don't know and can't understand. But I have known enough of those girls and witnessed some cold hearted antics.

I just pray every day for my precious boys! I also don't want them breaking any hearts or treating girls badly either of course. People will get dumped and hearts will be broken, that is life. But I am sure you know what I am trying to say:)

BTW, Cryptic is taller than me finally! That is not hard, I am not quite 5 foot 2. And he WILL be 15, so is a late bloomer. Still, odd when your son is bigger, isn't it??

Visits