Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

High Beams


It's been a while since I've posted. It's also been quite a while since I ventured out to visit any of you.

Report cards and parent teacher interviews seem to act as high-beam spotlights, highlighting my inadequacies - to myself anyway.

When life is that busy, my children are neglected. I spend hours and hours out at that school in report preparation, not to mention the extra evening hours spent conducting the interviews themselves. As independent as my boys are, it simply isn't fair that they are sacrificed in order for me to help other people's children. They would never speak a word of complaint, but I can feel it.

I would love to be that mom whose kid has new rubber boots to wear to school on the day of the first big thaw. Instead, I'm the one waiting for the weekend for the time to drag the old ones out of that big bin o' boots in the basement. "If the old ones don't fit, maybe your brother's old ones will."

I would love to be that mom whose kid never has a hole in his sock at Beavers. Nope, that's not me. I would love to be the mom who has the perfect outfit ready for each kid to wear to school for St. Patrick's Day. Instead, I had to shake out green t-shirts from the massive pile of yet-to-do laundry, hoping beyond hope no spots showed.

And my house? Whoa - that's a story I simply cannot tell. As well as the aforementioned laundry, my kitchen floor badly needs a scrub and the boys' rooms need a bull-dozer.

You would think that a three day weekend would cure all, but frankly, I spent the weekend doing things with my kids, not necessarily for them. I took #2 to the National Tae Kwon Do competition held in our city. I took the boys to the Science Centre. I played cards with #3.

I was a mom.

Next weekend, I'll be a housekeeper.

8 comments:

Big Pissy said...

Being the wife of a teacher and the mother of a teacher...I know very well how much outside work is involved in teaching.

Those not involved in education have NO idea!

They think teaching is all about having the summers off.

If they only knew!

Lowa said...

Excellent! Sounds to me like your priorities are exactly where they need to be:)

I know you enjoyed your weekend with your boys. All four of them:) How did your Friday afternoon with #3 go??

Dino said...

I am the same way and I don't have any "two legged" kids. But if I do have time at home I much rather spend it with Grumpy and our babies than cleaning house - that I try to do here and there and in between but until school is done and I cut back on my jobs its just not in the cards

Julie Pippert said...

Who is *that* mom? I can't say I've ever met her, actually, although I *did* see her in a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie once, but she died.

;)

Don't be too hard on yourself. Priorities have to shift now and again. You'll get home in the top slot again soon and will get done.

In the meantime, quick worrying about sitcom moms and remember you live in a world with real moms. :)

(If you wonder, go see Kristen at Motherhood Uncensored's Real Mom meme.)

Anonymous said...

I really don't know how any one can teach and have a family too. I could barely teach when I was single (I guess the first couple of years are the worst, of course, so maybe it would have helped if I had established lesson plans and all that). ENjoy the time with your children.

Molecular Turtle said...

Sounds like you're very busy. I hope you have time to treat yourself to something nice as well.

Library Mama said...

Thanks so much for all of your encouraging comments. Now I have a doozer of a cold, so I'm lazy because of that. I don't even feel up to replying personally to each of your comments. I'm sorry.

Please rest assured that each of your comments lifted my day at a time when I really needed it.

Take care, all of you.

tkkerouac said...

tkkerouac said...
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE LINKED ON THE MOMTHEMINX BLOG, POST YOUR BLOGNAME AND URL UNDER THE PIXIE UNDERWEAR POST.

Visits