Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Energy Boost

I went to a seminar yesterday on "Increasing the Effectiveness of Your School Library Program". It was spectacular. I always consider a professional development opportunity a success if I learn one thing I can use the day I go back to work. I probably learned at least a dozen at this one.

The presenter was dynamic and had us rolling in the aisles with some of her stories. She works in San Diego, California, but she is actually, in her own words, "a Southern Belle from South Carolina." The best part? She actually is a teacher librarian. She actually knows what she is talking about. I think that is what made her stories so incredibly funny; we've all been there, done that.

We each received a handbook of ideas she had compiled to help with all aspects of teacher-librarianship. I expect it will be dog-eared and well loved.

This handout includes pages and pages of lists of great books for kids. I've already started putting some on hold at our public library so I can preview them. I'm so excited!

It was great to have an energizing day like yesterday to get me through this terrible period of report cards. 5 more sleeps - if you can call them that. I didn't sleep very well last night. I just have to keep telling myself - this too shall pass. In a little over a week, when parent-teacher conferences are over with, I'll be sleeping like a rock.

8 comments:

mist1 said...

I love children's books. My mom always bought me the best books when I was a kid. In the past few years, I've wanted to reread lots of them. My bookshelf downstairs is where all my grown up books are. The one upstairs is where I hide my childhood favorites, so people won't know how immature I am.

Grumps said...

LM - I hope one day soon you'll be able to order a book that I wrote. I currently have a publisher looking at a teen/juvenile novel, so cross your fingers.

Dino said...

sounds like a good seminar

Lowa said...

This sounds awesome. Glad you had such a great time and it was so helpful!

I can now catch up on commenting. I tend to read your blog later at night once the kiddos are in bed and I can't comment. My computer is right near the boys' rooms and my typing keeps them awake. Sometimes if I can't sleep in the middle of the night, I come and read and catch up. Again, can't comment. Can't clean the house, can't do anything much, for fear of waking someone up!

Ok, off to comment on more, before I take Princess to dance class!

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Learning and evolvement and feeling terrific at the end of it. That's truly a wonderful thing, LM. hugs.

Library Mama said...

Mist - You would probably love my job, then. I love being able to spend other people's money on books!

Grumps - That's terrific! Keep me posted. I'll order it as soon as it's available.

Katy - It was fantastic.

Lowa - It was awesome. Hey, speaking of dance class, you and Princess will love my next book review.

Susan - It is wonderful, Susan. Thanks for the hugs.

mist1 said...

I want a job where I can spend other people's money on shoes. I mean, a job that doesn't involve dating or sex.

Library Mama said...

Mist - You could own a bowling alley. Then you could spend other people's money on shoes.

Visits