Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Book Review: Post Mortem


Patricia Cornwell's Post Mortem is a fairly old book, but I'm one of those people who likes to start reading a series of books from the beginning.

It is the story of Dr. Kay Scarpetta, Richmond, Virginia's Chief Medical Officer, and her quest to find the serial killer who has raped, tortured and killed four young women. In addition to Kay's gruesome job, she's also dealing with her ten-year-old niece, Lucy, who is visiting. Lucy is coping with a little emotional baggage of her own.

I listened to this book on CD as I drove to work and back over the last couple of weeks. Perhaps had I actually read the book, I would have enjoyed it more. As it was, I found stretches of it unbearably clinical and technical, and I simply clued those sections out as I tussled through the traffic.

I didn't care for the voice of the woman reading onto the CD, either, which is rather odd since it's the same woman who reads the Janet Evanovich books on CD, and I love when she reads those. I just got the feeling that she was finding Post Mortem as dull as I was.

I'll probably give the next book about Dr. Scarpetta a chance, but I don't think I'll listen to that one. I'll try reading it instead and see if that helps.

3 comments:

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

I so enjoyed your thoughts, LM.
Have missed you but reading the post below, it all makes sense. :-)
Of course, I should have seen it coming. You warned us about those report cards for a long time. lol.

I once had a 20-minute short story aired over radio. The young woman who read it, didn't do it justic. And I felt she spoilt a bit of the story's magic for me which had lingered so powerfully in the imagination.

Now that you bring this up, I wonder too, if authors feel the same way about their work being read on audio. If they do get secretly disappointed with the voices now and then.

Bathroom Hippo said...


My mom's read that book.

Enough said.

Reason being: Anything my mom reads I'm not gonna read.

mkecurler said...

Currently reading Trollope's Rachel Ray! Very good for 1863!

Your kids are going to love this- I scored an 8 ender at the Curling club on Monday- photo is on the blog!

Visits