Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Friday, March 09, 2007

Book Review: Sadie the Ballerina


The new Willow Award nominees are out! The new Willow Award nominees are out! And I can't wait to read them all.

I decided to start with a little tale by Joan Betty Stuchner called (warning, there are spoilers located in the following link) Sadie the Ballerina, and I am so glad I did. Not only is it a delightful story, but Bruno St.-Aubin's illustrations are enchanting - all pink and swirling, just like a ballerina.

Sadie desperately wants to go to ballet school. She loves to point her toes and twirl and dance. Her mother, however, simply does not understand and says things to Sadie like, "Wouldn't it be more fun to go to clown school?"

When the ballet comes, though, her parent do take Sadie to see The Nutcracker. I especially like the description and the illustration when Sadie and her parents are walking through the lobby of the theatre. When the show begins, Sadie is entranced, especially with the lovely Sugar Plum Fairy and the handsome Nutcracker Prince. She becomes so overwhelmed, in fact, that she does something only Sadie would do. If you want to know what that is, you'll have to read the book. ;-)

If you have a girl who dances, or, even better, one who longs to dance, you must read this book to her. I read it to my younger boys, too, though, and they enjoyed Sadie's spirit and spontaniety, as well.

3 comments:

Dino said...

wow sounds like a great book for teenage girls and I know just who to get it for

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Love it when you do book reviews, LM. Which is how I met you and that seems a long time ago now that I remember. :-)

Lowa said...

Thanks for this! Plan on checking it out for Princess!

Visits