Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

"Man of the Year"

Tuesday evening my "movie buddy" from work and I went to see the movie Man of the Year. I really enjoyed it.

I haven't always been a huge fan of Robin Williams. I mean - he's okay - but I'm not into over-the-top hard-to-keep-up-with silliness. Same reason I really dislike Jim Carrey's brand of humour.

Man of the Year showed me a side of Williams that I really enjoyed, though. He made Tom Dobbs into a really likable character who just happens to also be a really funny guy.

Tom Dobbs is one of those night-time comedians from which we are often told Americans choose to get their news. He's a fictional version of Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, or Bill Maher. One evening an audience member suggests that Dobbs run for President, and the idea takes hold. The internet becomes abuzz with the idea. Dobbs decides to swim with the current and announces his candidacy.

The kicker is - he wins...sort of.

Laura Linney (I've never seen her in a movie I didn't like.) plays Eleanor Green, a woman who knows a secret and is trying desperately to do the right thing. Shades of gray exist, though, and she begins to doubt what exactly is the right thing.

One interesting observation I noticed about this movie is that the incumbent President is played by a Canadian actor. Is that even legal?
I recommend this movie. It has laughs, but it also provides a message that gives you pause for thought. And that can only be good.

12 comments:

Big Pissy said...

I want to see that movie, but I'll probably wait for it to come out on DVD.

I like Laura Linney....she was so good in 'Love, Actually'. :)

Library Mama said...

I know, Pissy - we bought Love Actually, and it has become a Christmas ritual for Main Man and I to choose a weekend evening during the holidays, put the boys to bed early, get into our jammies, open a bottle of wine and share a plate of fine crackers, cheese, and fruit as we watch it.

Oh - I wish all this silly Halloween business was over with. Isn't it Christmas yet?

..................... said...

Oh, the joy of having to teach a bunch of excited kidses on Halloween.......
almost as much fun as teaching the last day before xmas break.
anyway, happy halloween!

Bathroom Hippo said...


Cute chick. Maybe I'll go see it when I go home for the weekend.

I'm also not a huge Robin Williams fan...but maybe he'll win me yet.

Grumps said...

I was once a huge fan of Robin Williams. I'm seriously close to declaring him one of the living dead.

Lowa said...

I adore Robin Williams. I think he is incredibly talented! I don't know him personally, but we all have our issues, don't we??

Tell me about it! I can't WAIT for tomorrow and I can get all this orange junk outta here and start preparing for the REAL FUN! YAHOO!! Now, if we only had some snow...

Library Mama said...

Schaumel - Thanks! To you too. Today wasn't too bad. Fifth grade is a lot easier than third (which I used to teach). They're just that much older - a little too cool to get too excited.

Hippo - This one is worth seeing, IMHO.

Grumps - I liked this one. Mrs. Doubtfire is the only other one I can think of that I liked this much.

Lowa - We got snow - yesterday - just in time to interfere with trick or treating.

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi LM,
Me too, you know. I could never relate to Carrey's humour (silliness) no matter how hard I tried. As for Robin Williams, well, he'ok. He can be really cool with quizzical expressions & witty liners.

love

Booklogged said...

Thanks for the thumbs up, LM. I like Robin Williams most of the time.

Anonymous said...

I like Robin Williams so I would probably like the movie.
I don't like Jim Carey much. He tries to hard to be funny..

Lowa said...

Hey LM, don't worry about the meme (whatever that even means! LOL). I was actually going to say something to you about not bothering, epsecially when you don't like Halloween all that much either:) Only reason I did it is because I actually had some time that day to work on it and Tim is such a sweet guy, I was flattered that he tagged me. I will tag you with something else soon:)

Hope things calm down and improve for you soon!

*HUG*

Library Mama said...

Susan - I agree. Jim Carrey is just too much. Robin Williams was never quite that bad, but sometimes it seemed he was on a slippery slope leading that way.

Booklogged - I think you would like "Man of the Year".

Happy - I think you hit the nail on the head - "tries too hard" - that's exactly it.

Karen - You should go see it. Can you get out for an evening yet? Or is baby still too little?

Lowa - Thanks. Yes, things are a little better now. Another calm before the storm - report cards are around the corner.

Visits