Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Network

I went to a teacher-librarian "networking" meeting yesterday afternoon.

You know, sometimes our school division takes us out of the classroom for the weirdest workshops on the strangest things, and I come away with nothing I could possibly use in my classroom or my library.

This was not one of those workshops.

I have to admit - the whole "networking" thing made me a little wary. It was a great afternoon, though.

First, one brave soul from our midst who had found a useful resource to help kids from kindergarten to grade twelve organize their research presented to all of us.

Then, we had an "expert" speak to us about copyright issues, and more specifically about the copyright license governing our school division.

Then, we had a small group time. We were grouped with other teacher-librarians from the division whose libraries were similar to our own - in size, clientele, things like that. We were told to choose a topic from a list we were given and share our ideas.

It was one of the most useful professional development afternoons I've ever had.

Why can't they all be like this?

8 comments:

Lowa said...

Wow, this is GREAT!

What a refreshing discovery. Glad you had a productive time. When things are a waste of time, it just gets on one's nerves, doesn't it??

So glad that you came out of it with a positive experience!

Bathroom Hippo said...


Woah that chick is hot! Was she there? I'd like to go to one of those workshops.

Anonymous said...

Ha,ha..bathroom hippo. I agree..

Anyways, to answer your question, they can't all be like that because libraries are really quite boring.
Not yours of course, but the other ones..

Booklogged said...

So refreshing when one of those training meetings turns out to be really helpful.

Library Mama said...

Lowa - It was a refreshing experience. Unfortunately, I usually have two terrible ones to every great one.

Hippo and Happy - You two are something else! Personally, I don't think the purple dress, red sweater and yellow stockings are that attractive together, but whatever turns your pages..... ;-)

Booklogged - Yes, it was a great afternoon.

Bathroom Hippo said...




-shudders-

Library Mama said...

Gotcha, Hippo!

;-p

Library Mama said...

I know, Karen, it was an unexpected treasure.

Visits