Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

New on the Idiot Box

I don't have a lot of extra time to watch TV, but when the new season starts, I like to try one or two of the promising new shows. I've found two this fall that I enjoy.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is Aaron Sorkin's newest offering. I used to love The West Wing when he wrote it. It started going downhill the millisecond he left. I don't think Studio is quite the calibre of The West Wing, but I'm still enjoying it.

The other show striking a chord with me is Brothers and Sisters. Any show gutsy enough to kill off one of the lead characters before the end of the pilot is okay with me. The only problem is that it's on Sunday evening, which is often the time of week my family keeps in touch. I missed half of the first episode because my sister phoned me, and I missed half the second episode because my brother called me. I kid you not; I missed Brothers and Sisters because of my sister and brother! Hah!

Any new shows out there look good to you?

8 comments:

Mentok said...

Have you seen the new Battlestar Galactica? It's great! ;-)

Bathroom Hippo said...


Battlestar Galactica sucks!

So does that liberal West Wing!


If you truly want great shows:
1) Mythbusters (On Discovery)
2) Harvey Birdman (Cartoon Network)
3) Dirty Jobs (Discovery)
4) Hogan Knows Best (CMT & E!)

Library Mama said...

You two are the reason obscure channels exist.

Guess I'm just a boring ol' mainstream girl.

Hey - what am I apologising for?

:-)

Bathroom Hippo said...


Apologise for being mainstream!

And for your husbands apparent lack of taste.




Wow...that could have been interpreted badly. You know what I meant!

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

I always feel sad when any one in a main cast is killed off, LM. But of course, have fun & happy viewing!
love

Mentok said...

Hippo, if you like Mythbusters, you will love Brainiac. I think Discovery carries it now (it's a British show). I guarantee you will bust a gut or your money back.

Anonymous said...

Umm..hockey started yesterday on tv. That is all..

Library Mama said...

Hip - I won't take offense. I grew up with brothers. It takes more than a comment to offend me! :-)

Susan - It was a little sad, you're right. I just felt that it was a brave move on the part of the producers to let the audience develop a "relationship" with this character, not realizing that he wasn't going to be there in episode 2. They could lose some viewers.

Happy - You're such a Canadian! (And I mean that in the best possible way.)

Karen - I remember those days (nights?) oh-so-well. When #3 was at that stage, he was not a good sleeper. The movie Boys Don't Cry was repeatedly on the movie channel at that time, and I remember feeling the irony of the title as I paced my livingroom floor with a screaming infant! I know you've heard it before, but this, too, shall pass. :-)

Visits