Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Birthday Money

I must preface this story with a brief bit of exposition. Main Man's father passed away about a year and a half ago. My dad is in his early 80s and lives a little over three hours away.

#3 received a birthday card from my father with a 20 dollar bill enclosed. He was very excited.

He met Main Man at the door as he arrived home from work. #3 was jumping up and down and he shouted out, "I got $100! I got $100!"

"Oh really?" Main Man queried. "Who from?"

"From Grandpa," was the excited reply. "But not the one who died."

11 comments:

..................... said...

well, happy birthday to the birthday boy then.

Library Mama said...

Thanks, Schaumel!

He should have a great day. And tomorrow is his actual party, so that will be even bigger.

Bathroom Hippo said...


Kids say the stupidest things.

Glad he got $100. Can you believe that the grandparent a kid loves most is the one who sends them lots of cash on their birthday and not the ones who send them clothes a bunch of times a year? Friggin odd huh?

Library Mama said...

Actually, Hip, it was only $20, but when you're six and you're completely used to being broke, it seems like $100.

Lowa said...

That is SO CUTE. Sad, but cute. I mean sad just cause of your hubby's Dad not being around. But happy that he obviously has at least a faint memory of that Grandpa?? And very happy that he got that money!

Cute he thought it was that much:) Princess got $20 from her Dad's father a few weeks back. She had the opposite reaction, but was just as pleased. "Look! I got a dollar from Poppa!!" she squealed:)

Your guy needs to memorize the colours of the bills, then he won't need to worry about looking at the numbers. We can't do that here:(

Are 100's still brown up there??

HAPPY SIXTH BIRTHDAY #3!!! I can't wait to hear all about it. Mentok sure throws a shin-dig, eh?? Wish you could post pics:( *sniff* I know not everyone is as much of a picture freak as I am. LOL

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Oh, the cutie-pie...

Library Mama said...

Lowa - #3 is such a card. Just about everything he says cracks us up.

Yes, luckily he has quite a few memories of his Grandpa.

And yes, a big shindig it will be!

Susan - Yes, I'm afraid we think he's pretty cute too.

Anonymous said...

That's too funny! He had to clarify that, didn't he. ;)

Library Mama said...

Jamie - The look on his face after he said it was hilarious. I think he realized that it was a little bit unnecessary. :-)

Anonymous said...

Ha,ha,ha..

Library Mama said...

Karen and Happy and everybody - I'm so glad to have all of you to tell this story to. Tonight is our family supper for #3's birthday, and the only family close enough to come is Main Man's side of the family. I'm not sure I can tell this story tonight; it may make some people a bit sad. :-(

Visits